SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

SSB Resources - online and off

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any good on and/or offline SSB resources? Is there something concise that discusses use, email, weatherfax, etc...

Is a license necessary to use an SSB?

Thanks

#2 ·
Stormer, the FCC sez that you should carry their license for shipboard use of a Marine SSB. They do not intend that to cover Amateur Radio SSB''s, altho'' there is a different licensing venue for that.

The best single source of SSB installation steps, use, wx info, etc. is the CD issued at the SSCA annual gam this November (ssca.org); the seminar presentations were all done on Powerpoint and quite professional. What most folks fall back on is a vendor who provides their technical expertise along with selling the SSB, TNC, tuner, etc. that the boat needs. You get this in exchange for the cost of the electronics and mods if needed (software uploads, radio set-up). Hfradio (hfradio.com) is one well respected vendor (SF Bay area).

Two other common references are airmail2000.com and winlink.com. While they are geared to SSB-based email, Steve Corenman (the author of the software used on many cruising boats these days for ham/Marine HF email) has some neat free software for downloading wx fax pics, e.g.

Lots to learn but lots of it valuable, too.

Jack

#3 ·
Our onboard system supports email, weather fax, and automatic float plan. It requires SSB, TNC, and computer. Best part is it''s free to operate. It does require ham license and cannot be used to conduct business. A good tutorial can be found at:
http://www.airmail2000.com/pprimer.htm
And a more comprehensive writeup can be found at:
http://www.sailmail.com/smprimer.htm
Hope this helps.
Pete

#4 ·
Hi Stormer,

If there is a marine SSB radio on board, you are required by law to have a station license for it. The license is required even if the radio isn't working, or it's never used. Also at least one individual needs to have a Restricted Radio Operators Permit.

If you're looking for info on using a SSB there's an article i wrote in the Feb 2005 issue of Southwinds Sailing (www.southwindssailing.com) that will be of help. I wrote it with the M-802 in mind, but much of what's written applies to the M-700Pro/710 as well.

Cheers,

Gary Jensen
www.docksideradio.com

#6 ·
I believe that you need to have a license from the authorities from whereever the boat is registered. If the boat is USCG documented, then you would require an FCC license. The licenses are recognized internationally IIRC because of the agreements made via the ITU.

#8 ·
Good link Cam. :D

#9 ·
Excellent Reads for SSB

I just went through this whole process so I can recommend two spiral bound books: Marine Radio for "Idi-Yachts" and HF Radio E Mail for "Idi-Yachts", both by Marti Brown. The first book gently walks you through SSB installation, care & feeding and operation. The second book gives you all the fine structure on setting up and using SSB for email, weatherfax, etc. It includes a CD that has all the software programs you need for these operations. Also, for SSB email, weatherfax, etc, you need a modem. Recommend Dockside Radio in Punta Gorda FL, just Google for it. Gary Jensen is great on customer support.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.