Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2002

pmills42255 is on a distinguished road
Chesapeak Bay to Daytona

I am leaving in late January or early Feb. for Datona. Reading Jim Cornell''s "World Cruising Routes" leads me to believe its best to go off shore. Looking at his drawings, I wonder if it would be better to sail out, across the GS and then hook back in North of the Bahamas. Might I take the North East Providence Channel?. Any ideas? The thread about East Coast to Fl and the Caribbean has been most informative, but maybe where I am departing from hold different senarios.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2002

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Chesapeak Bay to Daytona

P:

Good grief, does Jimmy Cornell really think it''s preferable to accept the wx north and south of Hatteras in January over motoring down the ICW?! And going offshore to the Abacos in order to reach Daytona? (My guess is that''s bending observations about prevaling western Atlantic winds & currents into a trip that''s essentially local/regional and certainly coastal).

I appreciate how enticing all the wind roses and current data can seem, but going outside the Stream in January, only to hook back into the U.S. coast later on is going to have you bucking the Stream twice and being beaten up by frontal weather many times over, besides. If in doubt, look at the wx pattern for the last two weeks plus what''s f''casted for the next week - you don''t REALLY want to choose that route, do you? I doubt Jimmy''s wife would, either... <g>

Instead of using his book for a reference, I''d encourage you to read the Coastal Pilots for the Mid-Atlantic and Florida waters, especially the pertinent weather and inshore conditions sections. You''ll be cold most of the time and deal with lousy weather repeatedly while motoring/motorsailing S in the Ditch, but you''ll have lots of interesting places to stop & visit along the way.

Jack
Old 12-19-2002

sailorrest is on a distinguished road
Chesapeak Bay to Daytona

Oh, goodness. Bike week in Daytona via the Graveyard of the Atlantic, the stream x 2 and the Bahamas. This sounds like Survivor rather than a pleasure trip. Not advised of your starting location however suggest you review the Waterway Guide, Mid Atlantic and Southern for options. If your mast in below 65í and draft less than 6í there are plenty of better options. Stay away from Dashews and Cornell until you have unlimited funds and Deerfoot vessel and world cruising plans.
Old 12-19-2002

pmills42255 is on a distinguished road
Chesapeak Bay to Daytona

Thanks guys,
I think I get the message about the weather and the Atlantic this time of year. I imagine we will head down the ICW. Earlier I had asked how much sailing vs motoring the ICW will afford. That question still is on my mind.
In the mean time, I will look into the Waterway guide. sounds good.
Merry Christmas!
Paul
Old 12-19-2002

sailorrest is on a distinguished road
Chesapeak Bay to Daytona

Sailing vs Motoring on ICW. Get used to motoring, restricted waters and depths, complicated ranges and congested traffic all favor motoring. At times you will be able to unfurl the headsail and get some extra speed and feel like a sailboat again. Some of the larger sounds and the Nuese River you can get all the sails up. The saying goes ďIíve got a motorboat with a 50 foot antenna.

There are several options of good inlets to depart and arrive back on the ICW. This will give you the chance to sail and put in longer days/overnight passages. The Waterway Guides discuss these options as well. Best of Luck. Sea Ya.