Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009

langianeseli is on a distinguished road
Weekend Sail from Annapolis to Baltimore

So I am going to a wedding Saturday in the Inner Harbor of Baltimore and I would like to mix it in with a small cruising trip - Backcreek, Annapolis to the Inner Harbor of Baltimore.

My timeline would be to leave Friday - early morning and arrive in the Inner Harbor, sometime Friday evening. Then sleep on the boat Friday, hang out in the Inner Harbor and go to the wedding Saturday evening, and then sail back on Sunday.

So here are my questions, but feel free to offer advice about any part of the trip, or to offer money saving ideas:

1. Is there a free place/good anchorage to stay at Friday night in the harbor or is it better just to get a slip at the Baltimore Marine Center? Is the Baltimore Marine Center a good, safe place to stay? I planned on trying to at least get a slip for Saturday so we could shower up.

(I know there were some similiar discussions about this on the 4th of July/Baltimore forum, but I am looking for more detailed up-to-date info)

2. Any Itinerary suggestions..this will be my first sail up there - but 10 hrs Friday seems like plenty time to make a one-way trip there and 10 hrs Sunday for the trip back.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2009

MorgaNado is on a distinguished road
Back Creek to Baltimore is EASY!

In our 37 Beneteau, we make this trip about twice a month, during the sailing season. It takes us, directly, five hours; with some, or all sailing, depending on the wind, up to seven hours.

Don't let the Patapsco River tide discourage you -- it can be very strong. Look at the Tide Location Selection for Maryland to get the tides on your side. Going back will be better, no matter which way the tide is going.

There is a small anchorage between Baltimore Marine Center and Anchorage Marina. Anchorage Marina is where we keep our boat, and, you may find a little more comfortable to transient.
Old 09-10-2009

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
We just spent a weekend at Inner Harbor East Marina. We loved the location, and the price was very reasonable.
Old 09-10-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
Annapolis to Baltimore is an easy run. We do it on avg in 3 1/2 hrs but that's at 7.5 to 8 kts. You can figure your time accordingly. It certainly wont take you 10 hrs. Inner Harbor East runs $2.10 a ft and is very convenient to Fells Pt and Inner Harbor. Their facilities are presently in trailers. They have showers although nothing fancy. The only advice I have for running the Patapsco is to keep a sharp eye out for floating debris. With all the shipping piers there's always something getting knocked into the water. Some of it can be rather large. Have a good trip.
Old 09-10-2009

gershel is on a distinguished road
Annapolis- Inner Harbor. EASY. I find the best and most under-rated place to stay is the City of Baltimore Public Dock. The transient rate is about $1.50/ft, and they share the same air-conditioned showers with the Inner Harbor Marina, that costs almost twice as much. There always seems to be room, reservations are not needed, even on 4th of July.
Marc
Old 09-10-2009

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
Marc, Is there any info on the City of Baltimore Public Dock anywhere on the web? We've thought about staying there, but coudn't find any details. I was under the, obviously mistaken, assumption that CoBPD had no facilities other than dock space. We have visited friends at Inner Harbor Marina. The facilities there are very nice. - Ray
Old 09-10-2009

gershel is on a distinguished road
Ray, I'm not aware of a website, but for the last 3 years, or so, the city dockmasters office has been in the same lobby as the Inner Harbor Marina.
Docking is on a first come basis, and there always seems to be room. After you tie up, the dockmaster usually shows up and writes you up. When you go to the office, they'll give you a pass card for the showers, which also works for the lounge for internet access. All of these facilties are Inner Harbor Marinas & the Citys. A real bargain.
Marc
Old 09-11-2009

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
Sightseeing along the way

The Francis Scott Key buoy.
Key Buoy | Justin Ayers
Attached Thumbnails
Weekend Sail from Annapolis to Baltimore-key-buoy.jpg  

Last edited by jjablonowski; 09-11-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-14-2009

Chris59 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBrown View Post
Annapolis to Baltimore is an easy run. We do it on avg in 3 1/2 hrs but that's at 7.5 to 8 kts. You can figure your time accordingly. It certainly wont take you 10 hrs. Inner Harbor East runs $2.10 a ft and is very convenient to Fells Pt and Inner Harbor. Their facilities are presently in trailers. They have showers although nothing fancy. The only advice I have for running the Patapsco is to keep a sharp eye out for floating debris. With all the shipping piers there's always something getting knocked into the water. Some of it can be rather large. Have a good trip.
My wife and I just made reservations to stay at Inner Harbor East this week and found out the dockage is free Tuesday thru Thursday!

They did say they charge for electric, ($8 a night,) but that we can live with.
Old 09-14-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
Inner Harbor East is our home port. I know they're offering specials in an effort to bring in more transient business. Their price per foot is pretty reasonable as well. Enjoy Baltimore and ne sure to hit Fells Point. Too many places to grab a drink and a meal to even begin to mention other than our favorite One Eye'd Mike's on Bond St. It's just a few blocks from the marina.