Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009

NorthFork is on a distinguished road
The dockage costs being posted are somewhat innacurate. Sure, you can pay top dollar @ big name or city/municipal marinas, or look in local marine oriented periodicals such as Waterfront News for liveaboard dockage. There are still a number of reasonably priced, LEGAL liveaboard locations (at least in Fort Lauderdale) that are more family/long-term resident oriented, and can accomodate boats to almost 60'. I wouldn't suggest going behind a private residence- sooner or later the neighbors will get upset with the "nuisance" & turn the problem into code enforcement.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"There are still a number of reasonably priced, LEGAL liveaboard locations "
and the more accurate cost of those would be in the range of.... ?
Old 10-28-2009

motion300 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
That translates into what, $600/month for a 30'er? In a private or commercial slip? How far away from open water or the IC?
That is hollywood city marina on northlake on the ICW 5mi from the port everglades and the inlet Oh +tax which could be $30 I paid $710-$730 for a 34'
Old 10-30-2009
Daysailor wannabe cruiser

lans0012 is on a distinguished road
West Coast Florida

Tampa bay rates go for about $400-500 for a 35' slip. If you live aboard there is usually an additional fee of 150-400/month depending on the marina. My dock neighbor lives aboard and doesn't have AC. Everyone thinks he's nuts...the summer is stupid hot every day all day long all night long, especially inside a boat. He says he doesn't like ac and that he loves the heat. I see him sleeping like a baby in his boat on 90+ degree and 90% humidity days with the fan on... so there you go. Other than that the summer sailing around here is not very good because it's either blowing 5kts or blowing and raining like crazy. The winter sailing is the best though with consistent winds and predictable weather. Tons of places to cruise in SW florida...Dry Tortugas anyone???

St. Petersburg is a vibrant downtown on tampa bay with two huge marinas, lots of sailing/sailors where you should be able to find a job and a tiki bar...good public transport. Farmers market every saturday next to the marina too.
Old 11-20-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"on the ICW 5mi from the port everglades"
Some of us Yankees have trouble understand why we'd have to motor at no-wake or near-no-wake speeds for a whole hour every time we loosed the lines before we could raise sail.
I can appreciate the ICW as a good way to barhop without getting lost...but it lacks something for sailing.
Old 11-20-2009

motion300 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"on the ICW 5mi from the port everglades"
Some of us Yankees have trouble understand why we'd have to motor at no-wake or near-no-wake speeds for a whole hour every time we loosed the lines before we could raise sail.
I can appreciate the ICW as a good way to barhop without getting lost...but it lacks something for sailing.
I understand that but how are the winters there?
Old 11-24-2009

gulfboater is on a distinguished road
liveaboard

I hope to have a liveaboad craft in the future. I purchased a dockage lot which is basicly some land for parking and a dock. It is just off the gulf and it is a neat area with waterfront bars and restaurants etc. I can supply it with power and water and will not have to be at teh whims of a marina. Best part is that I can put 2 boats there. If someone would like to rental a large medium draft slips just north of tampa let me know.

ray
gulfboating at hotmail.com
Old 12-02-2009

sailmaven is on a distinguished road
Huricanes?

what do you do in huricane season?
Old 12-04-2009

kelldog is on a distinguished road
Options for Liveaboard in FL.

Greetings all;
I too am looking at making a move from CA to Florida. I grew up in Savannah/Charleston and have been in CA for the last 30 yrs. I did not get into sailing until about 15 yrs ago. I wish i would have explored that when i was younger and back there. Probbly would have wound up in Florida years ago.
I am considering 3 areas to move to; St. Petersburg, Port Charlotte, or Ft Myers. The further south the better. Bring on the HEAT! I like it. of course humidity can be uncomfortable but a fan or AC would help me with that.
So my question is of these areas; which would be better for a mooring or maybe anchoring. Mooring first--rough idea of cost? Don't plan on living aboard permantly. Maybe just the first month or 2 until I settled in.
I will need to work.
My boat is a 30ft Cross Trimaran with 3.5 ft draft-centerboard up. I have lived on a few boats and on this one for a few years so I am used to it.

Thanks in advance for your comments/thoughts.

Kelly.
Old 12-07-2009
Finally Retired

carpediem1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to carpediem1 Send a message via Yahoo to carpediem1 Send a message via Skype™ to carpediem1
Kelidog:
I can only speak to Charlotte Harbor. It is a great place to live and sail with several very active sailing/cruising/racing clubs (Sail mag listed it among the top 10 areas in the US). Money mag picked Punta Gorda twice as the number one place to live/retire. We currently have a new (after Hurricane Charley) marina at Fishermans village (Last years winner of Marina od the Year) which has live aboards. We have great sailing conditions on protected waters but few anchorages. The city has approved a mooring field (2 in fact but the highway bridge makes one accessible for small sailboats only) but building has not started. WE looked into the "dream" of living aboard but found it more practical to own a canal home where we can keep our boat. It has been so successful of an idea that 14 friends from our old marina in Carlyle lake Il have followed us down here.
Love bug season last 2 weeks twice a year and around urban areas the city controls the the mosquitos fairly effectively.
Someone posted about long motoring on the ICW. We live 50 minutes from the enterence at Ponce PArk and the open water to sail. I hardly notice it anymore and my engine and batteries have never been in better shape. Also speed can be restricted due to Manatee zones.
We love it here and will be jumping off to the Bahamas in 2011. In the meantime it's and overnight sail to the Keys and the Tortugas. It's never boring. Boats on the West Coast of Florida should draw 4 ft and no more than 5.