I'm 6'2". I want to live on a yacht that can cross oceans. Am I dreaming? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2009
Bruce Roberts 25'

byr0n is on a distinguished road
Isn't this is why they invented "Tall Ships"?
fyi, 6'3" on a cal29 - certainly going to cross an ocean or two in it.
s/v Palu | Nantucket Clipper | Hull #3860
"Be Brave - You can't cross a chasm in two small jumps"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2009

aerie is on a distinguished road
I singlehand my Beneteau 42cc, and I'm a woman. You do have to plan ahead, and have the boat set up for singlehanding. A reliable autopilot is #1, handheld radio or remote mic at the helm is #2.
Old 10-16-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
The interior is a personal choice as to amenities and the size of them - shower, head. etc. But as far as sailing is concerned size shouldn't be an issue. With today's equipment any boat can be set up for singlehanding. Lines led aft with good clutches, good winches, and lazyjacks all make this fairly easy. In some ways the larger boat is easier to sail alone as the platform is more stable and the way forward along the sidedecks is clearer. You do have to think ahead a bit more and furling a main on a larger boat is a bit more work but that should really be the only real differences on a larger boat. Anchoring is done with a windlass on most cruisers above 30' or thereabouts so that isn't much different.
Steve and Linda Dashew sailed a 77' boat called Beowolf around the world by themselves and that included spinnaker setting and dousing - yes they are very seasoned and spinnaker setting on a 77' boat requires a LOT of thinking ahead but it can be done. Their production run of 56'to 64' Sundeers were almost all crewed by couples and several circumnavigated. Their custom boats up to 78' were also mostly sailed by couples. When a couple sail offshore you are really singlehanding on 2 different shifts. Chuck Paine's Apogee 50' design has been sailed solo by some as well. I think many could sail a boat upto 45' or so with the right rigging quite easily. Of course the maintenance budget and other costs are a lot higher and I think that is one reason why cruisers tend toward smaller boats - as I have moving from a 35' boat a few years ago to a 27' currently. But if that lottery draws my number it would be somewhere between 40' and 50'.
Brian

Last edited by mitiempo; 10-16-2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-17-2009

kmusbach is on a distinguished road
I'm also 6'2 and we have a 38" Kady Krogen Cutter. It has about 6'4" of headroom plus a queen size master berth that I sleep very comfortabaly on.
Old 10-17-2009

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
6'2" is not tall....

I'm 6'2" and that is not at all unusual for most North American Sailors.

I know several similar height sailors that have crossed the Atlantic in boats smaller than 30'.

I've had a 26 that was very comfortable.

It is all in what you want and can afford. Most boats interior centerline heights are comfortable to us short 6' 2ers...
Old 10-21-2009

rickanlisa is on a distinguished road
just to pipe in i'm 6'8 and live on a tanzer 8.5 i can stand underneath the companionway hatch with no prob. but any where else on the boat i have to stoop over not to bad though biggest problem i have is hitting my head on the handrail in the cabin
Old 10-21-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that a proper berth that you can stretch out in comfort on is far more important than standing headroom, since most of the time you're down below in a boat, you'll be sitting down, but if you don't have a berth that you can sleep comfortably in, you're screwed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-21-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
my formosa can be single handed and is designed by wm garden who was 6'4---the interior has that much headroom...and the master berth is same ---so are the pilot berths...long enough for a 6'4 to sleep in comfort....just is a bit on the older boat side--which i like ...... wide decks to walk and a quadrant mounted simrad auto pilot...was single handed from san francisco to san diego....by a boat virgin.......
Old 10-29-2009

Lookin4Freedom is on a distinguished road
I'm 6'3" and I started to feel the same way about trying to voyage in a small boat. However, boats do exist with headroom, if we look carefully enough. I recently shocked the wife by showing her an Out Island 33'. Compared to the Catalina 30, Sabre 28, Pearson 30 she's seen and been on, it was HUGE. So beamy, but I easily stood and moved around in the boat too -- first boat I've been on that I could stand freely in. Gives me hope for finding seaworthy boats that have that kind of headroom. I will note the Good Old boat list (Atom Voyages | Voyages Aboard the Sailboat Atom -* Good Old Boats List - choosing a* small voyaging sailboat) does show a couple candidates for taller folks. Especially the Vancouver 27/28. He claims 6' 4" headroom.
Old 10-29-2009

whigmaleerie is on a distinguished road
My dad sails my ohlson 38' hes 6'4 and doesnt have any great problems, the boats great and ideal for single handed very well manered sea boat!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.