I'm 6'2". I want to live on a yacht that can cross oceans. Am I dreaming? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2009

TallGuy is on a distinguished road
I'm 6'2". I want to live on a yacht that can cross oceans. Am I dreaming?

I searched these forums for a while, but I couldn't find a "Boats for Tall People" thread. Am I wrong in assuming that anything with adequate headroom for me is going to require two or more people to sail? Almost all the boats I've been on have been coastal cruising types, so I don't know much about bluewater-capable craft. I know that I could find a boat that I could sail up and down the coast; I see headroom mentioned occasionally in ads, so I know that such boats exist, and I'm not that tall.

If 30 feet is the ideal length for liveaboard solo sailing, then there must be some boats that tall guys can live in, and at least some of those must be robust enough to consider taking across an ocean. Which ones are they? Is it really impossible to sail, say, a 36 footer by yourself? Most of the boats I've read about that mention ample headroom are on the larger side.

So, is there a boat in particular that I should be looking for? Or should I just cultivate a slouch? Perhaps I should try to marry someone who also wants to sail across the Pacific? Advice, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
My old boat is 40' LOA and I sail it single handed just fine. I'm also 6-4.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-15-2009
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

roline is on a distinguished road
Yes you are currently dreaming, but your dreams can be realized.
GO to a couple boat shows and crawl through all the boats, lay down in the berths, check out the heads............. For the very serious, Caliber and Island Packets have nice features but I kinda liked the Morgan Catalina 44, even had washer dryer and work shop. But just like our attraction to the opposite sex, we each have / find a unique attraction to different boats.
Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan
Old 09-16-2009

Boatgearguy is on a distinguished road
I'm also 6'4" & the best boat I've found for safety at sea, room below deck & value is the Westsail 32, a proven Colin Archer design if you like the traditional style.
Old 09-16-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I'm 6'5", and I sail. All boats are compromise. My ketch has about 6'4" headroom, at 39' on deck. I singlehand her more often than not. Winches help, a divided rig (smaller sails) helps. Practice and thinking ahead helps most of all. I still need a taller boat, but I doubt that will happen.
Old 09-16-2009

casioqv is on a distinguished road
I'm also 6'2, and I have full standing height in a pop-top Catalina 25 fixed keel with the top up. My Catalina 22 swing keel doesn't have full standing height, but I think it will be fairly simple for me to modify the top with telescoping poles so that it does.

You shouldn't use the pop-top when sailing in anything but light air, but I don't find the desire to stand fully upright in the cabin while sailing in rough seas either.

I guess this is sort-of irrelevant in the context of liveaboards that can sail around the world...
Old 09-17-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I'm just short of six-one, and the only place I have to watch it in my 33 footer is the head.

Gentlemen sit, anyway!

Our new boat has seven feet of headroom in the saloon...I think my wife wants to put in shelving!
Old 09-21-2009

Volkhard is on a distinguished road
Smile Your dream will come true!

Tallguy:
I don't know about 30' being the ideal length for Solo liveaboard but I think that's a personal choice. I can only speak from my experience on my Island Packet 37 who serves me very well. I am 6'2" as well and people were laughing at me, when (on boat shows) after examining the cockpit and deck layout, my first look was in the head. I don't like to shower bend over or sitting down showering and that did eliminate quite some boats for me.

In regard to blue water cruising IMHO up to a certain size bigger is actually better and will give you (everything else the same) a more seaworthy and more sea-kindly boat. When I stepped up from a nice 30ft Hunter (bought strictly for coastal cruising) to my IP 37 I couldn't believe the huge difference. 15 to 20kts winds are now pure fun and have not been before.

I am contemplating to take my IP across oceans in 2 years when I retire, unless I exchange her bevore for a moderate size catamaran I am thinking about as well.

While I would like to sail with crew/companion I am setting everything up to be able to single-hand. I haven't crossed oceans yet but cruising Tampa Bay to Key West direct or being offshore about 150 miles in the Atlantic when I sailed from Florida to the Chesapeake this summer have been pure bliss.

I am sure you will find a good boat that fits you well both in size, style and handling. There are many folks out there single-handling moderate boats (35' to 40') and I have heart about a guy who does it on a 46' boat. I think it's about your personal comfort-zone, your skills and your expectations. I sail my IP 37 almost every weekend, and most the time solo or with non-sailing friends (much harder the singlehanding ).
I have a lot of fun solo on my 37' boat but I guess I would be a bit uncomfortable on something much larger than 40'.

I don't know where you live, but should it be somewhere close to Annapolis, please by any means join me one day and observe on a "singlehanded" day sail.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Florida Sailor

ODYSSEY
Island Packet 37 (hull53)

Last edited by Volkhard; 09-21-2009 at 10:33 PM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 09-21-2009

DrB will become famous soon enough
I'm 6' 6"

and I fit easily in my Pearson 10M, although the the brochure as 6' 1-1/2". I can't go much further than mid salon without ducking a little. The v-berth is a little tight, but I fit in all the berths.

I wouldn't take it across the ocean, but it can easily handle some bluewater conditions.

It's easy to singlehand.

DrB
Old 09-22-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
So you can see, a lot of short folks like you go sailing. I am 6'5"

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.