SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   old man buying sail boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/58144-old-man-buying-sail-boat.html)

blackbart400 09-18-2009 10:17 AM

old man buying sail boat

Im 75 years old, been on the water all my life so far .I want to buy a sail boat . have a little experience sailing . im thing of a tanzer. what do you folk think?

lporcano 09-18-2009 10:24 AM

chau

blackbart500 09-18-2009 02:10 PM

i like the tanzer 22, great for starters

smackdaddy 09-18-2009 03:49 PM

Looks like a cool boat. What are the aspects of it that you like?

CalebD 09-18-2009 06:02 PM

It is a good old boat.
Reviewed here: Used Boat Review
Cited in the review: low maintenance, performance sailor, trailerable, etc. etc.
What's not to like?

mccary 09-20-2009 07:54 AM

As a 60 year old person who loves water and sailing I suggest you take some time and decide what you like and don't like, and more important, what you can and can't do on a boat. My Catalina 27 is setup to sail almost entirely form the cockpit; I have roller furling and lazy jacks so unless I want to, there is little need to go up on deck while sailing. But my reason for that is I have bad knees. I have made arrangements to adjust my boat to my abilities and I love sailing. I sail about half the time alone or solo or even shorthanded.

You need to figure if you like the wild and dangerous side of sailing or want to embrace the more comfortable side. After you decide you need to go searching for a boat. Finding a boat is much like searching for a mate, you don't just marry the first gal willing to hop into bed with you; instead you need to find the right girl. So too with boats. Take your time and do your homework and you will love sailing for a long time.

blackbart500 09-20-2009 08:55 AM

c and c

thank you joe, i know your right. i was a diver for45 years on the bay of fundy so know how to get around here.the boat im looking at is a1973 c and c 25 foot very good sails two outboards and cradel .he wants 7000$ it looks to be in good shape. would like some over night trips to grand manan,st john etc. and the boat is only about 8 or 9 miles away. i live on deer island nb canada, reg

johnshasteen 09-20-2009 12:17 PM

I'm almost 67 and we've been sailing our Bristol 29.9 for many years and can tell you that the main thing to look for, and the Tanzer is a great start, is a boat that, no matter what sailing aids (roller furling, lazy jacks, etc.) you put on the boat - you want to be sure that you can still handle the boat if any or all of those aids fail - the bigger the boat, the less likely you'll be able to handle it without the aids.

jrd22 09-20-2009 12:48 PM

My dad sails his 30' boat singlehanded, and enjoys every minute of it (he'll be 88 in a couple weeks). Go for it, and have fun! Good boat to start with.

Flybyknight 09-25-2009 06:05 PM

I'm 74 and push a Cape Dory 25 real hard.
What is good about a Tanzer is that there are so many of them and active fleets, so that if you decide it's not for you, you can very easily bail out.
The same goes for a Lightning.
Just make sure that there are no issues with the standing rigging. That goes for any boat.
Dick