Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009

aerie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I would say that, unless your guests have been there before, the USVI and BVI are more condusive to a relaxing vacation than Antigua and nearby islands. The crew list really is only when checking in and out and as captain you are responsible for your crewmembers so it can be a bit of a hassle. One more reason why singlehanding can be nice.
Having cruised extensively in the BVI and USVI I agree with your statement. However, I am not interested in giving my "guests" a relaxing vacation as they were invited by my friend without my prior consent. I know there are charter companies based in Antigua, so I'm guessing there must be some gunkholing available there. I've never been there before as I was on a schedule last season and sailed directly from St. Barts to Guadeloupe. Now I want to see what I missed on that trip.

I did suggest to my friend that maybe he should make other plans but he complained that he has already purchased plane tickets. I'm coming to the conclusion that it's much easier to singlehand.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I would say that, unless your guests have been there before, the USVI and BVI are more condusive to a relaxing vacation than Antigua and nearby islands. The crew list really is only when checking in and out and as captain you are responsible for your crewmembers so it can be a bit of a hassle. One more reason why singlehanding can be nice.
I agree with your statement about the BVI and USVI, but my priority is not to give my "guests" a relaxing vacation since they were invited by my friend without my prior knowledge. I would much rather not have to deal with these crew change issues. I was on a schedule last season so I sailed nonstop between St. Barts and Guadeloupe (only to find the entire island on strike) so I want to see what I missed then. I know there are charter companies based in Antigua. Do people cruise just in that island country or do they visit others? Are there anchorages, snorkeling spots, restaurants ashore?

I suggested to my friend that maybe we should reconsider his joining me, and he complained that he already bought his plane ticket. I think I'd much rather be singlehanding...
Old 09-22-2009
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerie View Post
Having cruised extensively in the BVI and USVI I agree with your statement. However, I am not interested in giving my "guests" a relaxing vacation as they were invited by my friend without my prior consent. I know there are charter companies based in Antigua, so I'm guessing there must be some gunkholing available there. I've never been there before as I was on a schedule last season and sailed directly from St. Barts to Guadeloupe. Now I want to see what I missed on that trip.

I did suggest to my friend that maybe he should make other plans but he complained that he has already purchased plane tickets. I'm coming to the conclusion that it's much easier to singlehand.
Tell your friend to uninvite them. Sounds like you were being a nice person having a friend onboard to enjoy some of the islands and they over stepped that invitation by asking other to join. This should have been ok'ed by the captain first, unless it was family...
Old 09-22-2009

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
Ohhnnnooo I think I've seen Gaiamar before! Was she the one up on the rocks outside Nanny Cay????

Just kidding ;^P it was at Trellis Bay??? No just pulling you leg again.

Appears your going to do about what I'm going to be doing over the next couple of years. I'm heading back to Tortola in December, where I also keep my boat but will probably hang in the BVI/ USVI doing the guest crew thing until about March or April when I hope to make a run up to the Spanish Virgins for a month or so possibly with a guest crew. After that I'm not really sure where I'll head but St Martin is high on the list and will probably stay around in the Leewards for several months. I like doing it slow with minimal schedules but I may have a guest crew join me at some point while I'm in the area.

Let us know what your plans turn out to be as we may cross paths a time or two and have a Rum!
Old 09-22-2009

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I think I've seen Gaiamar in the BVI before, too. St. Martin, St. Barts and Antigua are not to be missed. The food in Grand Case is the best I've had in the Caribbean and close to some top restaurants I've been to that are listed in Michelin and Gault Millau! St. Barts is just beautiful, Antigua is intriguing. Don't miss those wonderful destinations. In addition, St. Martin is the place to shop for things on the boat, both chandleries and consumables!

Back to singlehanding - I'm not a naturally gregarious person but have managed to meet new peple and boats in each and every port that I've been in. This happens while clearing, while shopping, while bar-hopping and while dinghying around - whether I want to or not. This ranges from getting trashed during daylight hours with Brian Johnson in the BVI to meeting Brazilian circumnavigators (with 2 young kids) in Antigua. But I need to admit that evening waterholes (aka "Bars") are best for meeting fellow cruisers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-22-2009
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Maybe one of your friends friends has a sister that would be interested in...........well..............you know..............whatever.
Old 09-23-2009

My friend's friends' brothers might be more of interest to me since I'm a woman.
Old 09-23-2009
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerie View Post
My friend's friends' brothers might be more of interest to me since I'm a woman.

Stereotyping at its best!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Old 09-23-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I would put it plain, and simple. You invited him, and not his guest. Kind of ballsy to not ask your permission, and invite people to sail with you. BEST WISHES in makingit a successful trip no matter how it goes.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 09-23-2009

Thanks for your advice everyone. I think I'll suggest that my friend stay ashore when his "friends" are visiting. We'll see how it goes. After a couple of weeks with him aboard, I'll probably be ready for a break anyway.
Gail