Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerie View Post
My friend's friends' brothers might be more of interest to me since I'm a woman.
Well, sorry, how should I know.

But krozet is right.

These days what I think is normal and what I think is abnormal just does not fit in the PC of the present world.

Quote:
Thanks for your advice everyone. I think I'll suggest that my friend stay ashore when his "friends" are visiting. We'll see how it goes. After a couple of weeks with him aboard, I'll probably be ready for a break anyway.
Gail
Sounds reasonable.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2009

westerly is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to westerly
meeting crew

the unwritten rule of thumb in sailing is,
you can say when or you can say where,
but you cannot say both.
s/v mello moon
Old 09-28-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
FYI for your visitors: we've flown into/out of Antigua, St Maarten, Guadaloupe, Martinique, and Grenada with no hassles, usually a short cab ride to a nearby bay or marina to meet friends on their boat. Most of the islands have some sort of air service. The local hop flights can be disproportionately expensive, but it's nice not to have to 'circle back' when you only have a couple of weeks.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-30-2009

micksbuddy is on a distinguished road
In my singlehanded cruising, I've found it exceedingly easy to meet other cruisiers(socially, not romantically), since I almost always anchor out, just stopping by other boats when dinghying about(if you see the crew on deck) to say hi, cause you always have something in common to talk about.
Flying Scot #768
Mainship 34
Old 10-03-2009

aerie is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice. My friend just informed me that he has now invited a THIRD friend to come for a visit. Next time I'm definitely planning to singlehand!
Old 10-03-2009
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerie View Post
Thanks for the advice. My friend just informed me that he has now invited a THIRD friend to come for a visit. Next time I'm definitely planning to singlehand!
So I take it you never voiced you're displeasure about the extra guests, or if you did then you have a real a*# for a friend...

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Old 10-03-2009
Cabin boy

JimHawkins is on a distinguished road
Wisdom from the Dalai Lama:
Don't let a little dispute injure a great friendship.

Wisdom from TheDollyLlama.com:
Sometimes a little dispute reminds you it never was a great friendship.
Old 10-05-2009

Volkhard is on a distinguished road
Gail
I am sorry to read about your experience. You are the master of your vessel and nobody else should make these decissions for you. Your "friend" is not showing you the necessary respect! I understand you want to be nice and don't want anybody to loose their money or been un-invited. I assume your "friend" knows that and this got you into this situation to beginn with.I am myself victom off these kind of friends and if you are not careful they walk right over you. You are becoming a "cruise ship captain" for the time you have them on board while your friend is the hero because he is giving his friends this great vacation ...
There is alot wrong with our society and I can only agree with therapy not knowing what is "normal" behavior any more.
I am 21 month behind you and will start fulltime cruising in summer 2011.
I just hope this yourney works out for you and you will get this behind you. I will be singlehanding so I can pick and choose with whom I like to communicate. Might be the best thing for you as well until you find real friends who fully respect you.
Keep us posted how everything works out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Florida Sailor

ODYSSEY
Island Packet 37 (hull53)
Old 10-05-2009

irwin325cc is on a distinguished road
My experience is that a "friend" like this allways brings bad karma along maybe just due to your own displeasure or it really is bad juju. I had one of these friends come to Housotn and go sailing with me and had blown a head gasket in my engine and my head and about a half dozen other things go wrong. Another friend invited himself a couple months later and all the sudden had carb and fuel pump issues. Oh yeah the engine was only two months old. Then they both thought they could fix the issues better than I could and had to just let them tinker for a couple hours before I could make them believe that my diagnosis was correct. Aughhhhh.
I would just drop the ball on him and say enjoy your flight and get a hotel/resort. I know thats easier said than done but I can already tell from you post that you are stressing over this and just think to yourself about how you are going to feel when the time comes. This is your dream and will be your reality. Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.
Old 10-07-2009
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Be careful about changing crew in a French island. They can decide you are chartering without a licence. What happens next varies but expect a couple of days wait at a minimum.

In your case this is more likely as your boat is a [ex?] charter boat.