Originally Posted by CrazyRu
Clear Lake/Houston TX will fit a bill as well. Very nice marinas with pools, WiFi, near all. Occasional hurricane and insufferable heat and humidity are a downside.
There are plenty of cheap boats, it seems like the place absorbs old boats. Most marinas run auctions of abounded boats once or twice a year where you can get older 27-30 footer for a song.
Well he has the heat and humidity thing dead on. Boat prices are quite cheep down here. The clear lake dumps in to the Galveston bay which then dumps in to the gulf of Mexico all in short order.
The up side..
1) you are 20 min from the 4th largest city in the US.
2) So, high tech .. well your covered there is a fry's the size of three super walmart's just down the street.
3)A cat 4 hurricane hit and most every one was back on line and in business with in the week.
4) internet/power all have mutable carries down here so if you not happy, you have options.
5) Your in Texas, and every one is you new best friend..
6) your boat sleeps in fresh water but can sail in salt in very short order.
7)Maint, supply's, repairs can be made to your dock.. Hell there are even people who will go do your grocery shopping for you and deliver it to the boat.....cheep!
8)Houston has had little effect from the economy, we seem to be insulated from the worst of it.
9) Damn near all docks keep live aboard's separate from weekenders like me.
And power boats tend to stick to together and away from us sail people.
10) there really is no winter here 10 months its hot two months cold " to us" freezing on occasion but it does not stay very long " few days -a week or two". Just to be honest its the days when its 38 degrees and there is still humidity in the air that suck because it cuts right through you.
All in all not a bad place.