Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009

RichH will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottos View Post
I guess there's a back story here. Anyone care to elaborate?
The planning for the final form of the ICW included the deepening/widening of Delaware and Raritan Canal so that vessels could travel ACROSS New Jersey from NYC to Bristol Penna/Trenton NJ on the Delaware River ... and thus avoiding the shifty New Jersey coast.
The final (but never completed) plans for the ICW did indeed include Boston as the northern terminus .... so that there would be maximum travel through 'protected' waters.

Boston ---> Cape Cod Canal ---> Long Island Sound ---> East River (NYC) ---> Hudson ---> Raritan & Del. Canal ----> Delaware River ---> C&D Canal , etc. etc. etc.

The Delaware & Raritan Canal shut down operation during the Great Depression, some sections are still water filled as part of the NJ state park system.
Delaware and Raritan Canal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2009

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
My personal "intracoastal waterway" starts in Toronto and runs to the Bahamas and Dry Tortugas although over the last few years its quickly becoming the "Intra Condo Waterway". I put together this article for first timers on the ICW. It might be of interest http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/Prime...t%20Timers.pdf
Old 10-06-2009

CapnMikel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
mike: why do you say you'd buddy boat next time?
well....try a thousand miles by yourself LOL
it's safer plus it's really nice just to have someone to chat w/ have supper w/ plan the next day w/ go shopping etc when the weather is bad w/

plus it's always a learning opportunity & you may just make lifelong friends out of long journeys like that
Old 10-06-2009

CapnMikel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
My personal "intracoastal waterway" starts in Toronto and runs to the Bahamas and Dry Tortugas although over the last few years its quickly becoming the "Intra Condo Waterway". I put together this article for first timers on the ICW. It might be of interest http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/Prime...t%20Timers.pdf
wow, nice! I just got back from my 1st trip to the Keys & back (to Norfolk, VA) just looking at the table of contents brought fresh memories back to the surface like power management for instance. I did it without solar, wind nor generator help. That will be the biggest change for my next trip!

My biggest impression was that EVERY day was different on the ICW.

Last edited by CapnMikel; 10-06-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-07-2009
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Solo - you might want to think twice about Oregon Inlet. It's certainly one I avoid.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-07-2009
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by solosaler View Post
ottos: taken your post w/grain of salt. not looking to enter any nj inlet. been/done. btw, search system was used a bunch before my post. did you make the run w/boat from avalon/stone harbor last week?
It was a few weeks ago- and yes we did, although slightly delayed the start due to the nor'easter that hit. It was a pretty challenging trip - grueling, not skill wise. It was the owner and myself on a 44' Bristol - the other crew had to bail because of the delay.

He had purchased the boat during the summer and all was perfect and was planning on taking it to Solomons Island for some sprucing up before taking it back to California. His original trip to MD was delayed due to a tropical storm off the coast, so he went back to CA. On his return to Avalon, he found that the boat had been struck by lightning. All electronics were fried! Everything on the masthead had been blown clean off. So we took this 7.5' draft boat from Avalon to Solomons steering a compass course with a handheld GPS for backup guidance. Of course we had buoys to work with, except for the ocean leg and the lower end of the Chesapeake. Departed with the high tide from Avalon at around 1500 on Saturday and arrived around 0800 on Monday after dawdling off Solomons waiting for the sunrise. I slept well that night!

Last edited by ottos; 10-08-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-07-2009

MoonSailer is on a distinguished road
According to Claiborne Young there are only three inlets in NC that are reliable in all weather. Oregon Inlet is not one of them. There is a web page on NC inlets.
North Carolina Inlets - NC Inlets, United States
Old 10-08-2009

solosaler is on a distinguished road
oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
Solo - you might want to think twice about Oregon Inlet. It's certainly one I avoid.
loud and clear.
thanks.
Old 10-08-2009

NC inlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSailer View Post
According to Claiborne Young there are only three inlets in NC that are reliable in all weather. Oregon Inlet is not one of them. There is a web page on NC inlets.
North Carolina Inlets - NC Inlets, United States
curious as to the 3 passable inlets.
thanks for the link.
Old 10-08-2009

solomons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottos View Post
It was a few weeks ago- and yes we did, although slightly delayed the start due to the nor'easter that hit. It was a pretty challenging trip - grueling, not skill wise. It was the owner and myself on a 44' Bristol - the other crew had to bail because of the delay.

He had purchased the boat during the summer and all was perfect and was planning on taking it to Solomons Island for some sprucing up before taking it back to California. His original trip to MD was delayed due to a tropical storm off the coast, so he went back to CA. On his return to Avalon, he found that the boat had been struck by lightning. All electronics were fried! Everything on the masthead had been blown clean off. So we took this 7.5' draft boat from Avalon to Solomons steering a compass course with a handheld GPS for backup guidance. Of course we had buoys to work with, except for the ocean leg and the lower end of the Chesapeake. Departed with the high tide from Avalon at around 1500 on Saturday and arrived around 0800 on Monday after dawdling off Solomons waiting for the sunrise. I slept well that night!
spent a great weekend in Solomons for PRAD, local celebration of the river appreciation days. great food, good fun.
did you sail up the de bay and down or down the coast and up the chessie?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.