heating up a small sailboat during a chilling October - Page 10 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
wind magic--where do you live--ultra pure is in the kmart, target and walmart stores --- i have found it in the housewares section in most....in lamps---with oil candles....goood luck --i hope you find it--and the best thing i have found to get that soot out is murphys oil soap spray--i havent tried awesome cleaner yet--is next..LOL....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-25-2009

MarioG is on a distinguished road
Body Heat...On our C-22 all closed up even in the middle of Nov. with our camping quilt the 1st mate and I stay nice and warm. I'm always willing to do what it takes. On solo sails the stove burning for about 10 min does well. I've done a;ot of year round camping in up-state NY with nothing more then tents and bags, on board is like staying at the Hilton in comparison.

Last edited by MarioG; 12-26-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-25-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Z, yes, Kmart and Target have the fuel and I did buy some there, but it is nowhere near the low price you are talking about at Walmart. I will check Walmart.

MarioG, I agree with you, quilts are the best!

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-27-2009

sarafinadh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
Answering my own question ...

First, lamp oil isn't as expensive as I thought it was, I was just buying it in the wrong place and was paying too much. Kerosene is still a lot cheaper than lamp oil, however, just not 40 times cheaper.

Second, I got another oil lamp and some kerosene and thought I'd just try it out and see how it goes. Rumor has it that kerosene burns with a lot more soot, doesn't burn clean, is smelly, and basically just not as good as lamp oil. Well now I know, I've tried it, and I can't tell much difference. The kerosene flame is taller and it may be burning hotter.
Hi, We do not use kerosene in the lamps. We use mineral spirits. Highly refined, as is lamp oil, but not packaged and marketed to the carriage trade, so it is cheaper. about 12 bucks a gallon. One of my earlier posts in this thread had a link to a site about all of the different fuels and what they do and how they work. It's a good read if you will be using liquid fuel.

And no laffin, but I find spit cleans the soot when Himself lights the wicks too high and grimes them up.... Spit and a paper towel. Have to confess here that my hands are small enough to slip into the chimney, so that makes it pretty easy to do.

sara

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...

Last edited by sarafinadh; 12-27-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-27-2009

capnvega is on a distinguished road
To answer the question, my favorite cabin cabin heaters have been wood stoves. I've burned briquettes in them but I usually used mesquite charcoal bought in a 25lb bag at Smart and Final. Had 2 boats with wood stoves. Origo was too expensive to run as were the 1lb bottles of propane.I have no experience with diesel heaters. The Vega I have now has a Force 10 propane that works fine here in So Cal (my other boats were in SF Bay area). Kerosene does really smell, tho I'm writing this under kerosene lamplight. I'm going to try paint thinner in my lamps.
Old 12-27-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
anyone with any asthma problems donot use paint thinner or mineral spirir=ts----those are really aggravating to the lung diseases.