heating up a small sailboat during a chilling October - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009

sarafinadh is on a distinguished road
The vortex heater is a foot heater, made to be placed by your chair so you can rest your feet on it. Nothing on the outside gets hot enough to burn, which we like on the boat. Safer that way as we stumble around. It can run as just a fan as well when we need more ventilation on hot days. We do get those ONCE in a while in San Francisco! It has a auto shut off feature after 4 hours. We usually leave it under the cabin table. On cold night we bring it to bed with us. We use it plugged into shore power, but it has a very low draw so I suppose it could be run off an inverter occasionally. The high setting uses 225 watts. I can't find info on how many amps it draws, but that's a low draw for a heater of any kind. Keep in mind this is not a big powerful heater, just enough to take the chill off a small space and be safe to use in confined quarters.

Vornado SoleAire Space Heater with Fan Function - Space Heaters - Smarter.com

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...

Last edited by sarafinadh; 10-08-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2009

sarafinadh is on a distinguished road
you can totally make a lamp like that ; -)

The smoke is prolly the wick material and lack of a glass surrounding it. The chimney seems to help the flame burn steadily.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 10-08-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafinadh View Post
you can totally make a lamp like that ; -)

The smoke is prolly the wick material and lack of a glass surrounding it. The chimney seems to help the flame burn steadily.
You mean the cotton t-shirt rag I cut up isn't optimal wick material ?

Well this just totally rocks. I am going to go to the store and get some actual wick material and see if that works better.

Brb

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2009
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
wind magic----- it will smoke if it does not have a glass chimney. the chimney causes a draft around the flame so it does not smoke & gives out heat & light. the old aladdin lamps put out light like a 100 watt light bulb & lots of heat but the mantle was very fragile. it was made of a chemically treated material. you lit the mantle the first time & the mantle burned and turned into an ash like material. then when you lit the lamp the mantle would glow white hot. you had to keep an eye on it as the flame would get too high. these were used years ago when there was no electrical power available. we used one at our deer hunting cabin.
Old 10-08-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
another reason for the smoke is too much wick out, ie too much fuel.

i have 3 antique oil lamps, 2 on the boat one at home. one lamp will keep my 27 foot but big inside boat at about 70 degrees when its 50 out. this is with the top hatch cracked for the smell reason, the wife is not a big fan of it. i actually hang one from the dog on the top hatch, and some times the other in the cockpit when hanging out there for light.
Old 10-08-2009

Michael K is on a distinguished road
Uh, what about.....?

So far, no one has mentioned an Origo Heat Pal. I've never used one myself but have always been curious about them. Last I looked, there were a few at Bacon's in Annapolis.
Old 10-08-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by captbillc View Post
wind magic----- it will smoke if it does not have a glass chimney. the chimney causes a draft around the flame so it does not smoke & gives out heat & light. the old aladdin lamps put out light like a 100 watt light bulb & lots of heat but the mantle was very fragile. it was made of a chemically treated material. you lit the mantle the first time & the mantle burned and turned into an ash like material. then when you lit the lamp the mantle would glow white hot. you had to keep an eye on it as the flame would get too high. these were used years ago when there was no electrical power available. we used one at our deer hunting cabin.
Thanks CaptBillC

I think you are right about the glass that it would help.

I got some wick and it too smoked, but now I kind of understand why. The flame smokes when it is extremely tall and the actual fire doesn't burn all of the fuel, leaving the fuel to continue up unburned as "smoke". Maybe adding glass will help to burn the fuel more completely, I don't know, but I have discovered a few things that work without doing that.

My little mason jar burner stopped smoking as I reduced the width of the wick, and it also stops smoking given enough time to burn a while. The wider the wick, the taller the flame, and the more likely the flame's heat will die out before burning all of the fuel resulting in "smoke". You can see it clear at the point where the flame stops glowing orange and starts being "smoke", and as you reduce the size of the wick you can see that at a certain point the fire burns all of the fuel completely and the "smoke" stops being visible and starts being a wavering clear heat column.

The material used to create the wick does also seem to matter, but I don't think it is as important as the width of the wick.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2009
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
I'm on a mooring in CT. I try to spend do a few over nights in the fall. This may not be the ideal product to use, but here is what I do:

I use a small coleman camping heater and the propane tank from my grill. I heat up the cabin as I cook and eat dinner. Before I lay down to sleep I shut it off. I also have a carbon monoxide detector.

Coleman - BlackCat Catalytic Heater with InstaStart Technology -=
Old 10-08-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
All of you burning various open unvented flames, in enclosed spaces don't forget the risk of CO - these are not generally efficient burners, and poor combustion = CO = bad news.

Make sure you have a source of fresh air!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-08-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Overnight lows in the high 30's this weekend...
Like Faster and JRP, we love our Dickenson 1200.
Funny thing is though, we use it more in the early Spring than the Fall.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.