Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2009

jason3317 is on a distinguished road
I think you've gotten the correct advice. I took my boat from Rock Hall to Cape Charles around Thanksgiving a couple seasons ago. My recollection is that it is was cold, very cold once the sun went down. During the day, not too bad, bearable...but still cold. Polypro long underwear, fleece, hat and gloves.

Something else to keep in mind is at that time of year, the days are very short, so if you don't want to sail at night, you'll have only 8-9 hours of daylight each day. It will add a day or two to the trip to cover the 150 or so miles if you are sailing during daytime hours only.

Be careful with the weather, as is it not uncommon for a small craft advisory on the northern Bay to become a gale warning that time of year. I would not willingly choose to cross the Potomac in those conditions, so if you can hole up in Solomons or Reedville while it passes, all the better. If you get in trouble, or go in the water, you're in danger of hypothermia...

Last edited by jason3317; 10-12-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: my grammar sucked the first time
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2009

NautiG is on a distinguished road
I'd also stay close to the western shore. If there is any westerly component to the wind, the shore should keep the waves from building up too much. The bay really does open up in Virginia. If you got out in the middle of it in bad conditions, you might have to look at your gps to convince yourself that you hadn't accidentally wandered into the ocean. There are also lots of good anchorages on the western shore in Virginia.

I made the trip from Baltimore to Deltaville last March. It was a lot of fun, but the main difference is the amount of daylight hours March versus November. It gets downright cold at night on the water in winter. I'd have a good sleeping bag too.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
Old 10-12-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
All good advice. Cold, north winds, and changable forecasts.

But I wouldn't feel bad about it if I was heading south. The strong winds should be north and west. If you are comfortable with 20-30 knots winds you should be able to manage easily. Otherwise, you may have to work with the weather and pick your windows.

Read my blog, about a trip we made from Deltaville to Deale between Christmas and Newyears.

Sail Delmarva: Search results for homecoming classic

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2009

mgiguere is on a distinguished road
What do you mean it's illegal to catch and fillet (and cook) rockfish on you boat. this doesn't make any sense at all.

Moe
Old 10-13-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Moe,

Heres a true story. a friend of mine caught two Rockfish this year off of Tillman Island from their sailboat. One was measured at 20 inches and the other at 24 inches so they were legal sized when they were caught. The motored through the narrows and anchored in Santa Domingo Creek and filleted the fish to have for dinner that night throwing everything else overboard for the gulls.

DNR boat with game warden came by their boat 1 hour later and inspected them finding the fillets and asked if they bought them to which they said no they had caught them. DNR warden mentioned he saw them pull them up when they were fishing near the Narrows and followed them.

He cited them and fined them for having fished up undersized Rockfish and said they must land at a dock before cleaning the fish. He stated the requirements were to bring them to land first or that anyone who caught undersized fish would just clean them on the boat immediately to avoid having to have them measured if they were legal if they were stopped.

They paid a $250 fine after fighting with a judge who sided with the warden.

Thats the DNR's sense

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-13-2009

Yah, and you have to have two separate licenses to fish in the Maryland or Virginia Chesapeake. Or for that matter, another license for each state if you are traveling through the icw to Florida. The laws are not very common sense or practical for cruisers.

PDQ, I see you have a new Dickenson Newport heater Sail Delmarva: October 2009 I installed the same model a couple years ago on my boat. How do you like yours?

Scott
Old 10-13-2009

I like the Dickson heater very much. A ton of heat, and no monoxide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiG View Post
Yah, and you have to have two separate licenses to fish in the Maryland or Virginia Chesapeake. Or for that matter, another license for each state if you are traveling through the icw to Florida. The laws are not very common sense or practical for cruisers.

PDQ, I see you have a new Dickenson Newport heater Sail Delmarva: October 2009 I installed the same model a couple years ago on my boat. How do you like yours?

Scott
I put in a monitor a the same time, and not a peep. I have noticed the air getting bad just from cooking when I'm buttoned up tight, so I am a bit nervous about that. I have heard some very frightening stories regarding boats and monoxide. I think the last story I read was a fridge that was acting up.

As for following someone, in a sailboat (slow), and waiting for them to fillet the fish... that's nearly entrapment and certainly would make me question why he waited. So that they would clean them and have no defense? I would like to watch him explain that in front of his childrens' class and see if he is embarrassed. If I were the judge I would ask "why the delay?"

But I'm glad to read the note - a trap I could easily fall into, since a cruiser is NOT going to the dock first. For a cruiser, anchoring is the same thing. Dumb.

Old 10-14-2009

fendertweed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post

As for following someone, in a sailboat (slow), and waiting for them to fillet the fish... that's nearly entrapment

actually, it's not ... legally, not even close ... fwiw (I'll spare you the legalese details). but it would be annoying.

Pearson 26 #1200
Old 10-14-2009

I think the dnr guy would pretty much have to don some scuba gear and place some undersized fish on the line for it to be entrapment. Although it sounds like if the sailors had kept the fish carcasses instead of dumping them overboard, they could have proved the fish were of size.

Maybe that's the lesson to be learned. Keep the stinky carcasses aboard until you dock. Still Chef Dave's story sounds like a waste of the government and a taxpayer/sailor's time and money. Seems like the dnr ought to have better things to do with their time.

Scott
Old 10-14-2009

Yes, I do understand. It just "feels" that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fendertweed View Post
actually, it's not ... legally, not even close ... fwiw (I'll spare you the legalese details). but it would be annoying.

Nearly was the wrong word. I only meant it is not straight forward "pull over, your driving too fast" and it should have been. To me the fillet rule is a safety net to catch those that would clean them on the way to the dock. Silly.

If you have a problem with someone, you either tell them, or you don't. He was waiting for more infractions, which he got, if in fact the fish were undersize in the first place. I wonder if he just knows he can always bag a sailor on that one. Like a cruiser was going to even compare with the habitual illegal fishing that abounds.

I guess I will keep taking my chances, because I'll be damned if I'm going to take fish home so I can eat them days later. Fortunately, it seems I catch spot, croaker, and blues.