Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Fortunately, it seems I catch spot, croaker, and blues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
A similar story to Chefs...

My uncle was crabbing, while on the hook in the Wye. The DNR came for a peak. They had been keeping everything, then they would pick out the small, illegal catch and throw them back...unfortunatley the DNR thought differently and they were fined $250.00

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 10-14-2009

lapworth is on a distinguished road
I hate to stick up for the law but rember we almost lost all the rockfish population before. Thanks to regulations we are all able to still enjoy Trophy Season. Keep your lures on the bottom in november and good luck.
Old 10-14-2009

NautiG is on a distinguished road
I like it when the law goes after the guys who are really causing the problems Seafood Wholesaler, Owner Sentenced in Illegal Rock Fish Conspiracy - Southern Maryland Headline News

Still $250 is pretty expensive for enjoying some fresh fish on your own boat. But I've paid more for worse meals.

Now if they'd start going after all the liveaboards and cruisers who don't pump out. That's something I might be able to get behind.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
Old 10-14-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I am with you Scott.....get the dumpers who are poluting the Bay.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-15-2009
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiG View Post
Now if they'd start going after all the liveaboards and cruisers who don't pump out. That's something I might be able to get behind.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
I like the way Annapolis handles this: make it easy to pump out (a pumpout boat comes to you for $5) and then require anchored boats to prove they've had a pumpout at least once a week. Seems to strike a good balance between anchoring rights and water pollution prevention.

But if I had my druthers I'd be going after chicken farms and fertilizer runoff first.
Old 10-15-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Personally I think boater poop is the least of the bay's problems.

Please support my
Old 10-15-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Apologies to the O.P. I should have at least answered the question instead of helping the thread go further off topic!

The Chesapeake Bay in November ...

November is cold, but it isn't bitter cold, usually, but it is more than just light jacket cold. I guess you'd say it is coat cold, but not coat, hat, scarf, sweater, and long underwear cold. And better protection if you are going to be getting splashed with water of course.

I don't think you want to spend a November night on the Bay without heat, it is too cold for that, though if you don't mind roughing it then a sleeping bag and some blankets piled on would probably be enough to sleep.

It is very windy in November, the winds actually decrease as you near and pass the Solstice before they pick back up in February, and late autumn winds are gusty and not steady winds like they are in the winter months. December and January is usually a kind of quiet frost-sparkled wonderland around the Bay with periods of high steady winds that don't have (m)any wind breaks to stop them from sweeping through anchorages, but it isn't nearly as breezy or gusty as October and November. When it does blow in the depths of winter, however, it really blows.

The real threat of snow is in late February through early March, you would be very lucky to see a snow of any depth in November or even December. Ice storms are always more of a concern than snow.

Water in October is cold, in November is enough for exposure and hypothermia, and by January and February is rather painful. Fresh water freezes do sometimes happen in November, more often in December, and very often in January and early February with periods of thaw - the ground is equally frozen at those times, with periods of thaw/mud and crunchy ground alternating sometimes on a daily basis from noon to night. During these depths of winter you usually get wind for periods of days and calm for longer periods, and you usually get frozen fresh water for days in a row as well determined by whatever air mass is in the area.

By late winter the sun is warmer on your face and you can expect crocus and early daffodils by mid-February in patches, but the grass doesn't green up until March and April.

Hope that helps.

Edit - I'd start crossing the Potomac in the morning, it isn't a very fun intersection to be in at night, and there aren't (m)any good places to anchor for some distance on either side of the Potomac.

Please support my

Last edited by wind_magic; 10-15-2009 at 11:07 AM. Reason: addition