SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Sailing the Chesapeake mid November (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/58792-sailing-chesapeake-mid-november.html)

jjdin 10-10-2009 10:52 AM

Sailing the Chesapeake mid November

hi,
I am thinking about sailing down the Chesapeake from Annapolis to Norfolk but can't leave until mid November.
Would welcome any advice, information on the conditions that I may encounter since this would be the first time in the area.
Thanks

MoonSailer 10-10-2009 12:43 PM

Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Norfolk, Virginia, United States of America
This site might you you an ideal of what to expect in November. Of course average conditions don't tell you what it will be like this year.
Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Quantico, Virginia, United States of America

It looks like you can expect some wind and cool wet weather. Chance of freezing weather and about 30% chance of fog. Really cool site for planning.

mccary 10-11-2009 02:26 AM

Mid November can be nasty with snow or cold rain OR it can be warm (mid 60s) and clear. If you can wait for decent weather that trip is possible. Plan your trip carefully and keep a careful weather eye.

4arch 10-11-2009 07:58 AM

Snow in mid november is extremely rare and if it does happen it's usually less than 1" accumulation.

mgiguere 10-11-2009 08:41 AM

We sail the Bay 12 months per year...(pull the boat for paint in August when prices are down). Although it can be cool, it can be in some ways the best time. Bring a coleman stove to take the chill out of the cabin...and tow a fishing line because Oct & Nov the big Rockfish (stipped bass) head south. If the weather gets bad along the way, there are plenty of places to pull in for a couple days. You will also have a higher likelyhood of North to Northwesterly winds to push you down without having to tack. Of course if the wind is out of the south, it'll be a little warmer, but nonetheless, all sounds like a great time to go.

Moe
Crishelle
Chris Craft Apache 37 Sloop (S&S)

T37Chef 10-11-2009 09:32 AM

Weather is a toss up as others have said, the big bonus is you will have the bay pretty much to yourself.

We regularly sail to Swan Creek (a popular weekend anchorage during the height of the season) for our annual Thanksgiving cruise and we're usually the only ones there :)

Two years ago it was 29 degrees...burrr, years before I was in a T shirt?

NautiG 10-11-2009 06:09 PM

It'll probably be nippy, so it would be nice to have some way to heat the cabin. Especially in the morning. It's tough to wake up in a cold, dark boat in November.

The winds will likely blow stronger and more consistently from the north. This will build up some short steep waves in the southern bay where they will have had the whole expanse of the bay to build up.

Crossing the Potomac that time of year can be fun too. I'd choose my weather windows carefully. A small craft warning in the bay during the summer often means a great time to go sailing, but in November in the lower bay it probably should be respected.

I'm planning one one more week long cruise out of Deltaville in October, and hope to do some more short sails in November and December, weather permitting.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision

chef2sail 10-11-2009 09:18 PM

We sail usual till at least Dec 15. There can be a smattering of ice days followed by sleet, but the fronts blow through every three days.

BTW it is illegal to fillet a caught Rockfish on your boat and then cook it, for obvious reasons i beleive.

Dave

jjdin 10-12-2009 09:00 AM

Thanks to everyone for the information and advice. It has been very helpful.
I guess that the bottom line is that this trip is feasible but, as usual, one needs to plan carefully around the weather conditions. It seems that conditions change often and, if faced with bad weather, it may only take two or three days before it changes.

motovationcycles 10-12-2009 12:46 PM

Chesapeake in November

It's great!. Just pick your days and take your time. I sail out of Solomons all winter long. The wind is better and less boat traffic to deal with.