Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2009

jjdin is on a distinguished road
Question Sailing the Chesapeake mid November

hi,
I am thinking about sailing down the Chesapeake from Annapolis to Norfolk but can't leave until mid November.
Would welcome any advice, information on the conditions that I may encounter since this would be the first time in the area.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2009

MoonSailer is on a distinguished road
Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Norfolk, Virginia, United States of America
This site might you you an ideal of what to expect in November. Of course average conditions don't tell you what it will be like this year.
Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Quantico, Virginia, United States of America

It looks like you can expect some wind and cool wet weather. Chance of freezing weather and about 30% chance of fog. Really cool site for planning.

Last edited by MoonSailer; 10-10-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-11-2009
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Mid November can be nasty with snow or cold rain OR it can be warm (mid 60s) and clear. If you can wait for decent weather that trip is possible. Plan your trip carefully and keep a careful weather eye.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2009

4arch is on a distinguished road
Snow in mid november is extremely rare and if it does happen it's usually less than 1" accumulation.
Old 10-11-2009

mgiguere is on a distinguished road
We sail the Bay 12 months per year...(pull the boat for paint in August when prices are down). Although it can be cool, it can be in some ways the best time. Bring a coleman stove to take the chill out of the cabin...and tow a fishing line because Oct & Nov the big Rockfish (stipped bass) head south. If the weather gets bad along the way, there are plenty of places to pull in for a couple days. You will also have a higher likelyhood of North to Northwesterly winds to push you down without having to tack. Of course if the wind is out of the south, it'll be a little warmer, but nonetheless, all sounds like a great time to go.

Moe
Crishelle
Chris Craft Apache 37 Sloop (S&S)
Old 10-11-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Weather is a toss up as others have said, the big bonus is you will have the bay pretty much to yourself.

We regularly sail to Swan Creek (a popular weekend anchorage during the height of the season) for our annual Thanksgiving cruise and we're usually the only ones there

Two years ago it was 29 degrees...burrr, years before I was in a T shirt?
Old 10-11-2009

NautiG is on a distinguished road
It'll probably be nippy, so it would be nice to have some way to heat the cabin. Especially in the morning. It's tough to wake up in a cold, dark boat in November.

The winds will likely blow stronger and more consistently from the north. This will build up some short steep waves in the southern bay where they will have had the whole expanse of the bay to build up.

Crossing the Potomac that time of year can be fun too. I'd choose my weather windows carefully. A small craft warning in the bay during the summer often means a great time to go sailing, but in November in the lower bay it probably should be respected.

I'm planning one one more week long cruise out of Deltaville in October, and hope to do some more short sails in November and December, weather permitting.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
Old 10-11-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We sail usual till at least Dec 15. There can be a smattering of ice days followed by sleet, but the fronts blow through every three days.

BTW it is illegal to fillet a caught Rockfish on your boat and then cook it, for obvious reasons i beleive.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-12-2009

jjdin is on a distinguished road
Thanks to everyone for the information and advice. It has been very helpful.
I guess that the bottom line is that this trip is feasible but, as usual, one needs to plan carefully around the weather conditions. It seems that conditions change often and, if faced with bad weather, it may only take two or three days before it changes.
Old 10-12-2009
Not just a member

motovationcycles is on a distinguished road
Chesapeake in November

It's great!. Just pick your days and take your time. I sail out of Solomons all winter long. The wind is better and less boat traffic to deal with.

Dan
"Wind Wing"
Piewiet 850 / Dutch Flyer 28
Solomons, MD
Chesapeake Bay

"For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I do with my allotted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar with the breeze."

Richard Bode
-- from First You Have to Row a Little Boat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.