Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
No NO and NOOO The biggest nuisance is THINKING you need lots of stuff. Yeah if you have it and have the room to store it then fine, but some of the happiest cruisers I have met had small boats and a minimalist lifestyle. The extreme being a tiny French girl I met all over the place on a skinny self built 21 foot cat, [Think Hobie.] She crossed Biscay, The Atlantic, gunkholed around the Caribbean for a year or two then sailed home. Some of the more miserable cruisers I met were on boats that were too big for them and to complicated. They were always waiting for spares for the Genny/watermaker/fridge/NMEA linked Autopilot/SSBPACTOREMAIL/etc.

Whoops I guess I am on a bit of a rant here.......sorry

Lots of great people to talk to, snorkle instead of TV, learn to play something musical and read.
I agree with a lot of what you are saying TQA.

There are a lot of things I expected to gain by living a more minimalistic lifestyle, things such as having more freedom, less things to do maintenance on, etc, and all of that is true, but there is one thing I had not expected that is equally true - living a minimalistic lifestyle is fun! I started out thinking of all the things I would do without, and now that I have made a lot of changes I realize that I really don't do without very often at all. You think you're going to miss having the stuff you are getting rid of, but after its gone you learn to enjoy doing more with less. It turns into a kind of game where you learn to do more on your own and have a lot of fun figuring out new solutions to problems that you used to solve by going to buy something you didn't really need. It is self-reinforcing, the more you learn to do on your own the more you want to do on your own.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 10-24-2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I will just say that, in my opinion, make your boat comfortable. At least for us it includes kids and it is your home... not a hotel room. Put the things on there that make you comfortable and you enjoy, and I believe you will find that you will be LA's for longer.

Just my opinion and approach.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook