Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Gail, thanks for the news about Rosemary and Bill. We have been following them and you on the website. They are planning a trip to circumnavigate the world.

Please tell them Donna and Dave from Haleakula send them our best wishes.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Killarney,

How was your voyage? Hopefully uneventful -- but we'd still love to hear a report when you have time.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 11-24-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=FarCry;537534]"Most folks usually refer to the area as the BVIs and the USVIs but no worries........"
there is more than merely us and b virgin islands to the term "the virgins" friend---i am inclusive of the rest of the bunch as well.....look it up....i have been there and i have relatives who owned there...for many years......
but no worries....that also is relative to the socioeconomic level and the locale of your upbringing......

Last edited by zeehag; 11-24-2009 at 08:16 PM. Reason: boatkat isunt a gud typo er.....he also callsem the virgins, as most of his friends do LOL
Old 11-25-2009

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Killarney,

How was your voyage? Hopefully uneventful -- but we'd still love to hear a report when you have time.

John, check out his blog in the meantime..... On Ania
Old 11-26-2009
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Zeehag if you were to go back and read the post I was replying to you would see that someone was asking about the AVI. Since you've been here, and have relatives that owned here, have you ever known the area to be called the AVI? I assume the poster was using that as an acronym for the American Virgin Islands instead of the specific area correctly called the US Virgin Islands.

Yesterday I just got back from 8 days sailing around the Spanish Virgins (SVI) with friends. Over the past few years I have become quite familiar with my limited local sailing area which runs from Anegada to St Croix to Fajardo and most of the area in between. Unfortunately I fail to understand how my "socioeconomic level or locale of my upbringing" is relative to my use of commonly used terminology in reference to the local geographical area in which I live and sail in. I did, and will continue to share, what limited knowledge I have attained to assist others when possible. Just like when I called you on your cell phone to see what assistance I could provide for you when you got yourself stranded without the means to fly back home from a boat in Christmas Cove, ironically around Christmas time, two years ago. Yes, that was me that called to help you!!!! Do you remember?

Have a happy Thanksgiving. I am glad you made it back home safely from that trip into the Virgins.

[QUOTE=zeehag;545223]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
"Most folks usually refer to the area as the BVIs and the USVIs but no worries........"
there is more than merely us and b virgin islands to the term "the virgins" friend---i am inclusive of the rest of the bunch as well.....look it up....i have been there and i have relatives who owned there...for many years......
but no worries....that also is relative to the socioeconomic level and the locale of your upbringing......

Last edited by FarCry; 11-26-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-26-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=FarCry;545929]Zeehag if you were to go back and read the post I was replying to you would see that someone was asking about the AVI. Since you've been here, and have relatives that owned here, have you ever known the area to be called the AVI? I assume the poster was using that as an acronym for the American Virgin Islands instead of the specific area correctly called the US Virgin Islands.

Yesterday I just got back from 8 days sailing around the Spanish Virgins (SVI) with friends. Over the past few years I have become quite familiar with my limited local sailing area which runs from Anegada to St Croix to Fajardo and most of the area in between. Unfortunately I fail to understand how my "socioeconomic level or locale of my unbringing" is relative to my use of commonly used terminology in reference to the local geographical area in which I live and sail in. I did, and will continue to share, what limited knowledge I have attained to assist others when possible. Just like when I called you on your cell phone to see what assistance I could provide for you when you got yourself stranded without the means to fly back home from a boat in Christmas Cove, ironically around Christmas time, two years ago. Yes, that was me that called to help you!!!! Do you remember?

Have a happy Thanksgving. I am glad you made it back home safely from that trip into the Virgins.

uhoh my waaaay bad--LOL---i do that to--just like real people LOL.....i am looking forward to running into you ....no---bumping into you....no......uhhhmmmmmmmmm.....meeting you in your back yard ....is a nice one!!!!!
i remember i did have calls on fone--there was a coordinated effort to get my butt back to **** and was deeply appreciated and the voices on the fone were nice voices with faces i would like to meet.....will be back there in a seidelmann 37 candida....wanna meetyou, please......will be sometime after january that we will be in puerto rico and points beyond....with bubba daboatkat....

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!
Old 11-28-2009
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Currently in Nevis

Sorry for not replying sooner but internet access has been not very good most times and I have focussed more on my blog (although not entirely up to date there either).

For going south rookies I think our passage worked out well. According to Herb (Southbound II) there have been very few weather windows for making the passage. The days before we left had 20 knots or so into the Gulf Stream so not a good idea to leave; the boats that left the day after we did (and the day after the Caribbean 1500) ended up with 48 hours of gales and the three that were using Herb's services went into Bermuda for a rest (which is not a bad thing at all because Bermuda is so nice). The only problem was that the weather stayed bad and they were still there a week later.

We followed the traditional go east to 66W and then go south routing and it did not really pay off this year. Boats that followed the rhumb line did much better overall. We really pushed hard to avoid the galesthat were developing north of us and had four days of reaching with winds 25 to 35 knots but then we crossed a ridge and were 400 miles from St Thomas and it was directly (as in exactly to windward) and only about 10 knots. These winds lasted for four days and really slowed us down. At no time did we have normal trade wind conditions.

The boat did very well in the heavy stuff (only used reefed #2 and main even though the staysail and even trysail were rigged on deck). When it was windiest we wanted to fast so that the even nastier stuff coming did not catch us. We even did fine in the light air beating considering we weigh something like 35 000 pounds and did not have a #1. The centerboard really helped.

Did an overnight passage from Virgin Gorda to St Kitts that was as hard on the wind as we could manage (even had a bit of a motor at the end). Winds were basically from the east. Going to Monserrat on Monday (volcano has been active this week so that may change) and then Guadeloupe. Our plan is to pick a friend who is flying in to St Vincent on the 10th of Dec. After that we really will slow down - after all, I have lots of varnish to keep up
Old 11-28-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Glad to hear all is well. And congratulations on successfully completing a challenging passage!

Thanks for the update, too.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 11-28-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the report... you're making very good time - it will be time to relax soon, alright!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-29-2009
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the update, enjoy the rest of your voyage.