Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009

Ricemarket is on a distinguished road
wood shop on board

Has anyone successfully moved a small woodshop on board?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I was thinking if i ever do become a live aboard I would put my woodshop in a large covered trailer and start a "woodshop 2 U" kind of enterprise.

I saw a cabo rico that had a shop area on it when I was at the boat show in annapolis a couple of years ago. the boat was "only" Just under 900K on "sale"

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-27-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Seems to me that some famous cruisers had a workbench in the fo'c's'le. Depending on the size of the boat you might have to simplify a lot. My most common boat carpentry tools fit in a couple of tool boxes, and are all hand tools.
Old 10-27-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It all depends on what you mean by woodshop. Yes, many cruising boats will have a workshop area, but a woodshop with a planer, lathe, bandsaw, routing table, etc, is not very likely to fit on most reasonably sized and priced sailboats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-27-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
.....I could see it being done if you wanted to eat and sleep on work surfaces that convert to settees and saloon table..ect..and you have 38 to 40' minimum to work with.

You could have a small bench table saw possible router table combination for use as a sharper for a saloon table....a 48" joiner... 10 to 12" portable planer, ect all configured to be counter top or seat bottom space with the tool cranked down flush or flipped over like old sewing machine tables use to do...a Good saber saw can do almost what a band saw can except re-saw...and fill in the rest with hand tools and power hand tools..you could conceivably pull it off.

You will of course loose valuable storage area but it all depends if your single and what your goal for sailing is...I don't think it would be hard to do necessarily but the work space may get a little tight with any material of any length...or a half compleated project to constantly work around.. and dont forget to not build anything that wount fit out the companyon way...

I have a sinking feeling My wife would drill the first hole though if I tried something like that....and I can bet the bank on that..

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 10-27-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-27-2009

Ricemarket is on a distinguished road
I was thinking maybe a table top lathe, wheel grinder, drill press, bandsaw lol..
Old 10-27-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Sounds like a metal shop to me....but hey we'll fit it in..

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 10-27-2009
Handsome devil

Hey I found you one...
Attached Thumbnails
wood shop on board-boat-wood-shop.jpg  

Old 10-27-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Sorry I don't remember where; but I saw a kit that had a cordless circular saw, jig saw and drill that could be adapted to a table saw, scroll saw and drill press by using the case it all packed in. I doubt it would be super accurate but better than nothing.
I carry a drill and sabre saw, dremel tool and a lot of hand tools. Doubt I'll pack a router or circular saw.

A board with a bench vise will get fitted to work in the cockpit
Old 10-27-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Sorry I don't remember where; but I saw a kit that had a cordless circular saw, jig saw and drill that could be adapted to a table saw, scroll saw and drill press by using the case it all packed in. I doubt it would be super accurate but better than nothing.
I carry a drill and sabre saw, dremel tool and a lot of hand tools. Doubt I'll pack a router or circular saw.

A board with a bench vise will get fitted to work in the cockpit
Latest issue of Practical Sailor has a write up on something similar. Don't have it with me so I can't tell you the brand but they seemed to think fairly highly of the gear, given that we are not talking professional quality gear.

Many of the early cruisers (the Hiscocks are a good example) did not use the forepeak as sleeping quarters but used that area as both workshop and darkroom.

These days we demand bloody great huge bedrooms, using the saloon berths as both bunk and settee is not something we'll accept. Out goes the workshop.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett