Join Date: Nov 2008
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
So, how nuts is my cruising plan?
So for a while now I have been dreaming of the cruising life. To that end, here is where I am...
1) have been sailing a few times with friends and been crew for a couple Great Lakes races
2) my wife and I did our competent crew week long course down in the Whitsunday Islands in May
3) my wife and I will be doing down for a week in December to take out our own boat - a 38 foot Lagoon catamaran
4) we have sufficient funds such that money isn't really a 'huge' issue - its more a commit to the trade thing (my wife is currently working, I am semi if not totally retired)
5) when she gets tired of the work grind (hopefully in a year or two) we would then look to buy a catamaran (my current best picks from what I can tell would be either an Outremer 45 or 49 or a used Atlantic 48 or 55).
So, in the meantime, I can obviously work on another sailing trip here or there for the two of us (or with friends although amazingly its very hard to recruit people for sailing vacations - go figure). I can continue to read all kind of publications. I can try and get out on boats where I am - although there would be no cats to sail nor would anything be in the 45-55 foot range that I currently know of.
How bad is my plan so far? I figure I am lining up skills/trips and have the interest from both parties (albeit I am currently keener given I am not working). The biggest issue I bet sailing people would have is that my first boat would be so big. That is why I am doing the charter thing to get a feel for larger sized boats. I am not interested in sailing a 10 foot Laser and then a 20 foot xyz and a 30 foot xyz and then a 40 foot xyz over the next 5 years. To me those intermediate steps (assuming one bought) would just burn through huge amounts of money via depreciation not to mention getting stuck with illiquid assets assuming one went with very old boats to save money. I am more of the opinion that if you want a Ferrari, save up and buy one, don't buy a bunch of junk first just because you can afford it. Hence, assuming we decide its doable I would envision my first boat being nothing smaller than a 45 foot catamaran.
That all said, what else can I consider doing to prepare or get things lined up? How bad or nuts is my plan and what I have done thus far to move in the right direction?