Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2009

DavidHDennis is on a distinguished road
Accomodations for cuddling and more

John Vigor, in his classic work Twenty Small Sailboats to take you anywhere, has this to say about the Alberg 30:

You'll note that there are no staterooms with cuddly double berths on this sternly Lutheran sloop, which like most boats of its era, was designed more with safe sailing in mind than safe sex.

I have looked at hundreds of sailboats on Yachtworld, wondering what would be a good design for me and my girlfriend to do a long-term cruise in, and it seems to me that's an excellent description of almost all of them.

Even high-cost, high quality boats like Hinckleys are far from immune to this curse. Take the Bermuda 40: No accommodations that seem suitable for people whose feelings for each other are beyond ordinary friendship. It's large, it's beautifully designed and made, but has no space truly suitable for a couple. Even the center cockpit, aft cabin Hinckley 49, otherwise an amazing, drop-drawer vessel, has only the most primitive looking sleeping accommodations in that aft cabin.

Jeff_H, whose opinions are undeniably sound in most respects, says that a couple should really try to cruise on a boat in the below 38 or so foot range. But as far as I can tell, there are virtually no boats in that range that have anything approaching a comfortable double berth suitable for, shall we say, vigourously intimate activities.

In fact the only boat I have seen that appears to break the mould in this respect is the Hans Christian 33T, which has a very nice looking double berth. But I have every confidence that if I was talking to Jeff, and suggested I might want a 33T, he would recoil in horror and tell me that sea turtles and even a decently outfitted snail would be faster! (Yes, Jeff, I do hope you will reply to this post :-) ).

Furthermore, the 33T appears to be horrifyingly expensive. In fact, it appears to be very close in price to a far larger and more luxurious Hans Christian Christina 40! And the Christina is longer, therefore faster, and has a more modern keel layout, therefore faster. The Christina, in fact, might not be a bad choice if I'm willing to go to 40', even though I have never seen it mentioned here. It appears to have a very similar displacement and underbody design to a Passport 40.

Both the Christina and the Passport 40 seem to have reasonable layouts for physical intimacy - they have pullman berths that appear to have ample height and width. Another option that looks very nice is the Ted Hood designed Bristol 41.1, with its huge aft cabin.

At this stage of my search, I'm thinking the Bristol 41.1 might be one of my best choices. It was made in America, by people with enormous practical yacht building experience, and it appears to have an excellent reputation. It has the center cockpit/aft cabin arrangement which not only gives you a great intimate experience berth, it also provides what appears to be first-class engineroom access and room for gadgets. It also has the advantage of the centerboard/shallow draft design which would be perfect for the Caribbean and nearby places.

Now, just so I don't sound like a complete idiot, I will note this:

- I know a double bed is unsafe for sleeping during passage - but every cruising book I have ever read has people at sea for days and saying in port for weeks. Both types of accommodation are clearly needed.

- I know you can convert the salon settee into a double bed but at our ages (mid to late middle age) I don't see that a feasible option on a day to day basis.

- I know boats have vee-berths but they look horribly cramped and uncomfortable in nearly all boats.

- I am concerned by the expenses associated with larger boats. I would like to hear about smaller and/or cheaper options that fit these basic criteria. I love the aesthetics of offshore-capable cruising boats but my plans would be to stay permanently in warm weather areas and be hyper-cautious about avoiding bad weather.

What seems amazing to me is that, say, a 35' boat can't get decent sleeping accomodation squeezed into them somehow. But it seems like the only way to do this might be to spend as much money on a 33' boat as a 40' boat, which makes me feel I'd might as well get the 40 and have higher speed, more comfortable motion, more spacious accommodations, better engine room access and easier to maintain systems.

So I'd love to know thoughts about my current short list (Hans Christian Christina 40 & 33T, Bristol 41.1, Passport 40) and suggestions for what other boats might fit the bill.

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Why not look at the CS36T and the Alberg 37, Southern Cross 36, C&C 38, etc. Lots of boats that are smaller and will fit your requirements.

It would help if you said what your budget for the boat is...and what your use for the boat is. You might also want to look at catamarans, like the Gemini 105, which has a very nice master stateroom with a QUEEN size berth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-02-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Get used to the fact that you're sleeping on a boat and not in a house. I have a 25' boat, and there's 6' v-berth and 2 6' 1/4 berths. A 25' boat that actually sleeps 4. If you're looking for more than sleep, find a quiet anchorage and use the cockpit.
Old 11-02-2009

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road
Nonsuch?
Old 11-02-2009

sahara is on a distinguished road
A nice vee berth is actually quite comfy at anchor, and a well designed one with a filler piece is certainly adequate for, if not downright conducive to, amorous endeavors. At least mine is.

Plus, it has other attractions. Being in the bow, the skipper is well attuned to his anchor rode and setting. It is also situated well away from the heat of machinery, and is usually well ventilated with it's own hatch. Make sure that hatch has a screen, or there will be more than just the two of you. An offset double forward means that someone is on the inside, someone on the outside. Inevitably, one will be forced to crawl over their partner in the middle of the night for some reason.

Many of the double berths you see are large quarter berths. These can be quite hot and stuffy at anchor unless the designer and builder have put some real thought into providing ventilation. They may be right next to the engine.

IMO, a boat needs both - comfy sea berths to ensure a well rested crew when underway, and a romantic place for nesting with a significant other while at anchor. There should be no need on a cruising boat for anyone to sleep where people sit down to eat. Convertible dinettes rarely make good double berths.

The B-40 scores on both of those points, and is pretty to boot. The Hinckley 49 has little to recommend it, except for initial build quality. It's ugly, slow, and not well laid out, again IMO.

A friend owns probably the best Bristol 41.1 in the world, but his is aft cockpit, which I believe is better in this size range. His forward cabin is lovely. Boats are more fun to steer from aft. When I drive my 42' to weather in chop, it seems most of the spray lands amidship, right where a center cockpit would be. In either configuration, the 41.1 is a very good boat.
Old 11-02-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Haven't you heard? It's not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean!

On a serious note, you can rig up something comfortable with 100' of double-braid polyester, 2 snap shackles, a few turning blocks, 1 can of McLube SailKote (for the squeaking blocks, of course), 1 2' x 2' piece of rawhide, the main halyard, the boom extended out to leeward, and a little imagination...
Old 11-02-2009

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
Why to confine yourself to the bed? You have entire boat for exercise. Have you tried slings from a mast?
I have found that V-berth on my 28 ft boat is satisfactory for those lazy noncreative days…
Old 11-02-2009
Banned

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Front seat of dads pick"n up truck. just sayin' and you are talkin 30 ft and plus boat.
Old 11-02-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
Haven't you heard? It's not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean!

On a serious note, you can rig up something comfortable with 100' of double-braid polyester, 2 snap shackles, a few turning blocks, 1 can of McLube SailKote (for the squeaking blocks, of course), 1 2' x 2' piece of rawhide, the main halyard, the boom extended out to leeward, and a little imagination...
Keep doing that by yourself Pain and you are gong to go blind.

HEHE!

Boy, this thread went downhill quick.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-02-2009

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
It's a boat, not a brothel. But where there is a will there will be a way.

On our 28, the PO even gave me pointers regarding foot positioning. All POs should be so helpful.

On our 38, the PO couldn't understand why my wife questioned the lack of curtains "If you want privacy, go into the V berth."

The Catalina 35 or 36 has a massive nearly free standing double bed up forward. Perfect for falling out of underway.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.