Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2009

irwin325cc is on a distinguished road
Moving with a dog to fixed pier????

Ok Im about to move aboard and probably to a marina with a fixed pier. The question is how have any of you dealt with getting a 60+ lb dog on and off during tide shifts?

I am thinking of building some sort of ramp or plank with a grip that attaches to the boat or pier one. Then the idea is it rides up and down (hinged) to the other side.

I have a Irwin C.C. 32.5 and have been on a floating dock for the last year and a half. Any thoughts on the loading and unloading of a larger size dog would be nice.

And no the obvious will not happen. I mean getting rid of the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
We have a 65 lb Golden Retriever and a ramp worked well. I built one using 2x6s apx 4' long. I laid the 2x6s side by side and used lag bolts and flat washers, counter sunk, into 2x4s on the underside. On one end I stood the 2x4 on end to act as a cleat. I also tacked some old rug to both ends and the cleat to prevent scratching the gel coat. Note that I tacked the rug on it's sides in the event one worked loose it couldn't scratch the boat. Finally I applied no skid I bought in rolls to the topsides of both 2x6s. It took one or two tries before she became accustomed to it. From there on she would just scoot right on or off the boat.
Old 11-23-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
How big a tidal range are we talking??? Bay of Fundy has 30' tides or so... and a ramp is probably not an option... Since you're in Texas, I'm guessing the tidal range is relatively small, and a ramp or gangplank would probably be the best solution—allowing the dog to walk himself off and on the boat.

Making a fender board out of a 2x8 or 2x10 and using that as a ramp would allow it to serve two purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-23-2009
October Moon B43

FWIW the tidal range we dealt with was 2-3' with an occasional extreme. When that would happen we'd need to give her a boost up the ramp.
Old 11-23-2009

Yes the 2'-3' range is about right and the ramp with some sort of foot hold is what I had in mind. Was tapping the wealth-o-info on the forums. I will want to make it pretty self adjusting. So if I read right MJBrown you just used the 2x4 on the end to hook to the dock and did not have it physically attached to one dock or the boat? I am thinking a hinge with some sort of detachable bolt or lock so I can remove while gone but dont have to do a thing to it while the boat is at the dock. Any other thoughts is always welcome.
Old 11-23-2009

gulfcoastcruiser is on a distinguished road
Irwin,

We are on a fixed pier in Seabrook Marina and have a Golden and Labrador Retriever. The only time they have trouble is getting off when the tide is really high or really low, but they can be helped off and have no qualms about jumping back aboard.
Old 11-23-2009

GCC I wanted to get into Seabrook Shipyard but they said they were not taking liveaboards right know and I'm a few weeks from taking a new job in the area. I'm in South Shore Harbour but they dont allow liveaboards so I've just about decided on Blue Dolphin cause I'm done with the hour ride to the bay from SSH.

WaterGate said they changed there policy from a 30' minimum liveaboard to 40' minimum. (I thought wow a 10' change in 30 days, but what is a man to do).
Old 11-23-2009
October Moon B43

Irwin325, I placed the 2x4 apx 6-8" from the end of the ramp. This allowed me to hook the edge on the dock and still leave a few inches of ramp to close the gap. I avoided using hinges or anything else metal that could possibly mark the gel coat. I'd just place it on the corner of the finger pier when we would leave.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.