Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace2 View Post
It is my opinion that theft, whether by force or stealth, IS an attack, in several ways.
Interesting post, Jace2, welcome to Sailnet.

I agree, today property rights are not enforced as well as they once were, you see it everywhere - a liberal attitude towards taxes, leniency with regards to theft, etc. People seem to have forgotten that theft of property is not just stealing a "thing", but it is stealing a person's life, their time, because if they hadn't traded their time for that "thing" then they could have been out sailing, or spending time with their children, or whatever they wanted to do - that's what the thieves are often doing, watching television in their off time, or riding around in a stolen car, or whatever, just out enjoying themselves. When they steal from you they are saying their life is more valuable than your life, that they have the right to do whatever they want but it is your lot in life to work for them. The original poster now has a deficit, s/he obviously wanted to own the things that were stolen or they would not have been purchased, so you have to assume that the OP now has to go out and spend more time working to replace them - maybe the OP was planning to go cruising to exotic locations, now they have to put that off for days, weeks, months, until they can replace the gear they wanted to take with them, part of their life has been stolen from them. Someone who steals something knows that they could have worked for 3 months or however long to buy what they are stealing, but they don't want to, they'd rather you work those 3 months and buy it, then they can just take it from you and you've essentially done the work for them.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2009

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Piracy is an act carried out on the high seas, not in a (very) popular and crowded anchorage in "paradise". That's just plain theft or robbery. Unfortunate, for sure, but it happens most everywhere on the planet.

Bequi remains my favorite harbour in the Windwards....by far.

Bill
Old 12-13-2009
Jace2

Jace2 is on a distinguished road
Very well said, wind. Yes, at one time, you were hanged for horse stealing. What's the penalty for auto theft, now? Wristslapping. And even if the thief is sent to jail, it has ceased to be punishment and has become a country club of sorts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-13-2009
Jace2

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Piracy is an act carried out on the high seas, not in a (very) popular and crowded anchorage in "paradise". That's just plain theft or robbery. Unfortunate, for sure, but it happens most everywhere on the planet.

Bequi remains my favorite harbour in the Windwards....by far.

Bill
Not according to the dictionary. The location listed in my dictionary, OED I think, "The practice of attacking or robbing ships at sea", not only on the High Seas.

But whichever, it's a only a technical difference, I suppose.

Old 12-13-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
It used to be that thieves got their hands chopped off. Of course we can't do that anymore because everyone in the entire field of finance would be typing with two stubs! While theft is never justified, white collar criminals are no better than those that steal off of an anchored boat. Structural violence preys on the disadvantaged, so be it if the disadvantaged prey on those who create said structure.
Old 12-13-2009
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
jace - I was just referring to the legal definitions of the terms. In this case, what happened (as I read it) wouldn't qualify under the legal definition of piracy as you quoted it. It would be burglary or theft...not robbery or attack. Had the people been on the boat at the time - you could possibly make a case for piracy.

Regardless of the technicality, I understand what you're saying from a philosophical standpoint. It is an "attack" in many ways.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-13-2009
Jace2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
It used to be that thieves got their hands chopped off. Of course we can't do that anymore because everyone in the entire field of finance would be typing with two stubs! While theft is never justified, white collar criminals are no better than those that steal off of an anchored boat. Structural violence preys on the disadvantaged, so be it if the disadvantaged prey on those who create said structure.
Thieves such as the ones that the original poster spoke of are not 'evening the score of class injustice.' They are not the "disadvantaged," They are not simply sad, lonely, hungry people that just haven't been given a break. They are low life scum bags that are stealing from good, honest, hardworking and very UN-rich people. That's all. If you steal billions from a giant pharmaceutical company, or you steal a twenty dollar camera, you're a thief. And should be punished.

Old 12-13-2009
Jace2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
jace - I was just referring to the legal definitions of the terms. In this case, what happened (as I read it) wouldn't qualify under the legal definition of piracy as you quoted it. It would be burglary or theft...not robbery or attack. Had the people been on the boat at the time - you could possibly make a case for piracy.

Regardless of the technicality, I understand what you're saying from a philosophical standpoint. It is an "attack" in many ways.
Yeah, smack, we're on the same page.