Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2009

MeckDC is on a distinguished road
All these recipes sound great! Does anyone mind if I include them in my book? I will obviously give credit to whomever donated the recipe. I would be happy to email a copy of the book, when finished to everyone who submitted recipes. I would like to one day publish it for other boaters, students, parents who need easy meal plans, etc.

MeckDC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Funny you say that MeckDC, I am working on a "cookbook" for boaters, not your typical cook book though...more like a reference book.
Old 12-03-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Whenever I'm doing a simple dinner on board I usually start with a basic mirapoix (sauteed onion carrot celery) and work from there. Choice of weapon a cast iron casserole such as Le Creuset. I like to add garlic and speck to the mirapoix. From there do what you will. For example, throw some chicken pieces into a bag of seasoned flour then fry lightly just to brown the skin, add some wine then stock, serve with mashed potatoes and steamed greens or if you wish throw potato and peas into the same pot as the chook. You can pretty much substitute fish (solid fish like e.g cod that won't disintegrate) , lamb, beef or pork. Your choice of red or white wine. Adjust cooking time to suit your choice of dead animal.

The important thing is that if you do the mirapoix, then put aside, you can brown the meat pieces in the casserole before putting the mirapoix back in.

Now another trick for boat cooking (ok so I'm up to two pots here--such it is) is the old steamer on top of a saucepan. So with the above you boil potatoes in the saucepan and then throw some beans or broccoli into the steamer. You've still managed to cook dinner comfortably on a two burner stove.

The Wombette is very big on eating her greens god bless her cotton socks!!

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-03-2009

sarafinadh is on a distinguished road
split pea soup with ham

smoked ham hock in a soup pot with a stick of celery a coupla of carrots and an onion, with water to cover. simmer until all the veggies are mush and the meat is falling off the bone. scoop everything out. dump the used up veggies and strip the meat from the bones, dice up and toss back into the pot with the water still in it. add in split peas and a coupla dollops of bullion or stock base chicken preferred over beef, but ham best of all. I LOVE *better than bullion* and keep the ham base on hand for this and corn chowder. The chicken and beef are excellent products, keep fine for months with out refrigeration (despite the label saying otherwise) Let it all simmer till the peas soften and then serve with a dollop of sour cream, if you have it on hand. you can add sliced carrots and diced potatoes as well.

especially good with corn bread, which cooks very well on the stove top if you (like us) have no oven.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 12-03-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Post Not recipes, but some classicsal dish suggestions...

You know, one pot cooking as the topic could make this one of the longest threads on Sailnet

Bouillabaisse, a wonderful Provençal Fish Soup. I think its essential to use saffron in the soup, otherwise you shouldn't call it so Also, cook the fish on the bone...better flavor. Serve with a aioli and crisp bread.

Paella, numerous recipes for this classic Spanish dish from Valencia. Traditionally you eat it right from the pan so I guess you could it is truly a one pot meal Although you should use a Paella pan, anything similar will work well

Fricassee, a white stew, veal or poultry is typically used. Contains mushrooms and finished with cream, sour cream, or creme fraiche.

Ratatouille, a wonderful combination of Mediterranean vegetables, you'll find many variations of the preparation. I prefer to "sear" each vege separate, of course on the boat doing it in one pot is preferable.

Beef Bourguignon, or Beef Burgundy. Using the shoulder of beef thats well marbled should yield the best taste-flavor. Don't cut the meat to small so you don't dry it out and have time to develop flavor.

Gazpacho, a refreshing chilled soup. Using a good sherry vinegar and a high quality olive oil is essential. Bonus, you don't need to cook it

Risotto, rich creamy rice dish. Only draw back is the attention it needs while cooking. Good quality Aborio rice is key along with a thick pot and a wooden spoon.

Hungarian Goulash, good Hungarian paprika is a must. I also like to use lard instead of oil. I also like a lot of onion in the stew.

Choucroute, a hearty stew/braise with sauerkraut. You could cut the meat/pork in smaller pieces to expedite the cooking time. Note: the cook may want to warn the crew of the potential for, well, oh never-mind.

En Papillote, okay, not a one pot, but is a one sheet pan item baked/steamed in the oven.

Steamed Mussels, a quick cooking dish and serves well with some toasted croûtons. I like steaming with beer, but the traditional white wine, garlic, and butter is good too, I also love the Thai version with basil, chili, and lemon grass.

Etouffee, a spicy Creole dish, easily made in one pot. Good color of the roux is important, using oil instead of butter will retard burning it. Rice on the side if you wanna use two pots

Frittata, I like to use a cast iron skillet, baking the eggs mixture in the oven.

Ah...thats all I can think of at the moment...hopefully more to come.

Last edited by T37Chef; 04-22-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-03-2009

closehauled14 is on a distinguished road
Man, y'all must be eating pretty good aboard. All of these delicious recipes are a far cry from my macaroni w/ chili and cheese dogs. Anyway, tonight I got a little experimental, and it came out pretty decent, so, here goes.

1/2 lb diced hog jawl
1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb venicen tenderloin
1 diced onion
1 can sweet corn, drained
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 cup white rice

In a 5 qt stainless skillet brown all meats togeather with onion over medium high heat. Add in the corn and allow to brown slightly. Season to taste. I used about 2tbsp brown sugar, some paprica, ground cayane pepper, chili powder, black pepper, and some cajun blackened seasoning. Add in stewed tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add in the rice, reduce heat, cover, and allow to simmer for 20-25min. Serve with shredded chedar and wheat crackers.

In case you aren't familiar with it, hog jawl has a similar flavor to bacon, and can be found with the "pig parts" in most grocery stores.
Old 12-04-2009

xsboats is on a distinguished road
Use all of our recipes, but by all means, send us a pdf of it once your book has been compiled. [but before you start selling it]
Old 12-04-2009

closehauled14 is on a distinguished road
I just have to ask again. Does anyone know haw to make eastern afghani/west pakistani cuisine? I'd realy hate to reinlist just to get a bite of it again.
Old 12-04-2009

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
Turkey Chili

I know everyone is probably tired of turkey by now but this turned out really good.

about 1 1/2 cups turkey (used what was left on the carcass)
1 can black beans
1 cup corn (again used left over)
1 can ro-tel tomatoes w/ green chilies
1 can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
1 small onion chopped
2 fresh chopped carrots (for sugar)
1 green pepper chopped
1 red pepper chopped
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp pepper
3 tbsp chili powder
1/4 cup chili sauce
3 drops liquid smoke

Put all ingredients in a crook pot and cook 5 hrs on high 8 on low.

This taste great on a cold day. Can also be made with ground turkey, just brown first.
T37Chef likes this.
Old 12-05-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
This is a favourite of ours...

Carnival Jambalaya

1lb precooked sausage, cut into 1 or 2 inch pieces
1/4 cup uncooked comverted rice
1 10oz can of condensed Cream of Celery soup
3/4 cup water
1 tb Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup chopped green or red pepper
1 stalk celery chopped

Combine all ingredients in a large skillet, cover and bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 20 - 25 minutes or until rice is cooked. 4 servings.

...also, of course any good Chili goes over well on those cold wet days (complete with cornmeal muffins, naturally.)
T37Chef likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.