SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   anyone have recipes that can be made in one pot? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/60252-anyone-have-recipes-can-made-one-pot.html)

closehauled14 12-02-2009 07:19 AM

anyone have recipes that can be made in one pot?

My wife is trying to put together a recipe book for our boat that involves mainly one pot meals. Other recipes are welcome as well. Please keep in mind that we have a 2 burner stove, a small oven, an ice box, and a small bbq grill to work with. I am very much looking forward to hearing what everyone else is enjoying while aboard.

Tempest 12-02-2009 07:30 AM

Buy a package of Mc Cormacks Chili Seasoning and follow the recipe on the back of the package. EZ PZ...

1 lb of chopped beef, 1 can of diced tomatos (14 oz.), 1 can of kidney beans.
and the seasoning. I add some cooked elbow macaroni or other pasta like ditalini.. Then garnish with raw diced onion and shredded cheddar cheese.

Takes about 10 minutes to make.

closehauled14 12-02-2009 08:08 AM

thank you for the recepe tempest. Sounds like a great comanion on a cold night watch.

closehauled14 12-02-2009 02:42 PM

Anyone else want to share a favorite?

SecondWindNC 12-02-2009 02:54 PM

I like scrambled eggs with spam and mexicorn on boat trips. Scramble the eggs in the pot, add the canned corn and spam in time for them to get heated through (you can leave out or substitute for the spam if it's not to your taste). Simple, filling, one pot. Eggs aren't the easiest thing for provisioning for a long trip, though.

Another good one is Zatarain's mixes. Black beans and rice, or the jambalaya mix. Comes in a box, cooks in one pot. Slice some kielbasa and add to the pot, and you've got a warm filling meal.

MeckDC 12-02-2009 03:05 PM

I actually am in the process of writing a cookbook for my stepson who is away at college. So far everything is a one or two pot or crockpot meal. If you'd like I can email what I have so far. It's too large to post.

MeckDC

SecondWindNC 12-02-2009 03:09 PM

I'd be interested in that, MeckDC. Sent you a PM.

closehauled14 12-02-2009 03:56 PM

Secondwindnc: thank you for the recipes, I've never had spam and eggs before, I'll have to try it out.
Meckdc: I would also be interested. Pm is on the way, thanks.

dongreerps 12-02-2009 04:36 PM

Brown a couple of pork chps in the bottom of a dutch oven. When browned, throw in some rice, and a couple of cans of french onion soup. Simmer until rice is done, and pork chops are mellow. Simple, filling, & good.
Couple of chicken breasts in the dutch oven. Cover with canned mushroom soup (undiluted), and an equal amount of sour cream. simmer slowly. Add 3/4 cup rice for each breast, and continue until rice is done. You may want to increase the rice/mushroom soup/sour cream as it may be the best part of the dish.

Michael K 12-02-2009 05:03 PM

I've heard there is a one-pot wonders web site which ought to serve you very well. Personally, I recommend Chicken Tagine as displayed at Epicurious.com: Recipes, Menus, Cooking Articles & Food Guides, for which I get rave reviews every time I serve it to guests.