SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cruising in Europe - passport/visa?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  kekkul 
#1 ·
Hi,

This is my first post in this forum, I've come here as I wanted to pick the brains of American sailors. I am a Brit currently based in london working to build my cruising kitty, with the hope of taking a sailing sabatical around the med then accross the pond 2-3 years from now.

Whilst building my kitty I have been very fortunate to meet and fall for a wonderful lady, who shares my dream and is almost as keen as I am to accompany me on the trip. The only potential complication is that she is American, and I don't know what complications there are for US passport holders cruising under sail around Europe. She currently has a UK Work Permit, but would therefore lose the right to reside in the UK once she has quit her job.

I would love to hear of anyone's experiences of cruising in Europe on an American passport, and any immigration or visa issues you faced and how you dealt with them.

Thanks
Neil

#2 ·
US passport

The rule is basically she can spend 90 days out of 6 months in the EU. In theory she must wait until the 6 months is over before starting another 90 day visit. In practice all she has to do is leave the EU for a day, have her passport stamped out and then back in and the 90 days starts over. We have been sailing the Med full time since last April and no country has enforced the 6 month issue. The do enforce the 90 days however so just plan to leave the EU even if by ferry, plane, train, or whatever for a day

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.