Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Jeff
I wasn't trying to scare you into not renting. Just make sure your insurance agent knows about it and you have liability coverage. That picture is a bit sobering though.
Old 01-07-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Dang..Thats it... Im going to sell my boat...I dont even trust myself now...

Boogie men in the closet.....

Just have insurance that covers it ( like renters insurance when renting out a house) and go for it with a gal like the one who responded already you will be fine and so will your boat.

Just one mans opinion.

Edit: If I was renting your boat it would be in better shape then it started in...Polished, cleaned, and what ever else you alowed me to tinker with...find someone like me and you would almost feel guilty charging me rent.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 01-07-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2010

lexy993 is on a distinguished road
boat rental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBurright View Post
Hi Lesley,
Glad to make your acquaintance. The current plan is to bring the boat down in the spring/summer, but there's a chance I won't go that route. If I expect it to still be around, I'll get in touch with you later this and we'll see if we can work something out. The only difficulty of course is that July-October is prime sailing season . . .
Take care,
Jeff
Jeff,
I just found your reply. Please keep in touch.
Lesley
Old 02-13-2010

nadiller is on a distinguished road
wow!!
hellosailor you sound very paranoid. Do sleep at night clutching your shotgun thinking of all the horors in the world that could happen to you.
I am a responsible home owner who wants to buy a boat to liveaboard, but would first like to rent to see if I like it, before I commit to a boat mortgage. There are resposible people out there who are very respectfull of other peoples property and know how to take care of stuff. You just need to find someone who appears honorable. We don't all leave a wake of destruction behind us. There is an entire economy of home rentals that has opperated succefully for centuries. Mishapps represent only a fraction of the trasactions. Best of luck finding a renter if you haven't been scared out of it!
Old 02-13-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"You just need to find someone who appears honorable. "
Ahuh. And while most people are, how is the average boater going to know how to check the credentials of whoever comes looking to rent? We know that someone coming looking to "rent a liveaboard" is NOT an average or experienced sailor or liveaboard, so right away, we know they are not familiar with the usual norms afloat and that alone may make them a risk. Most folks don't have the skills or knowledge to run a background check, or to ask the renter to take out their own insurance and liability polcies, so we're not on the hook if they mess up.
A home renter may punch out the walls, but a boat renter is like someone renting out a car for prom night. If they get drunk and wipe out a family down the street...Guess who may have to ante up five mil in damages?

Sure, most folks are honorable. But the ones wearing the neatest suits and shiniest shoes, are often Scott Rothstein. Ain't worth the risk unless you know the business well enough to be IN the business.

Paranoid? You know what they call a liberal after he's been mugged? A Republican. I don't sleep with a shotgun, but I do make real damned sure to lock my doors both day and night. Folks called me paranoid for that too, long ago. Then the town PD made repeated speeches on the TV Nooze telling folks to please please lock their doors after a long wave of daylight robberies.

Paranoid? No, just sadly experienced. By all means, you rent out your boat a couple of time, and let us all know how it works out five years down the line.
Old 02-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd also point out that renting a boat to a liveaboard may be considered chartering the boat, and as such, would require a commercial insurance policy and a USCG captain's license IIRC.

Renting a house is not like renting a boat to someone, as the person renting the house can't generally take the house and run away with it. A boat is mobile, and as such has a lot more risks to it than does a permanent structure like a home. Not only can it be far more easily stolen, it can sink, it can go aground, it can capsize, it can injure people, it can damage the environment.

Most people who will want to "rent a liveaboard" or "boatsit" are not qualified to maintain the boat or even deal with small problems, that can easily turn into large ones. Forgetting to close a seacock or turn the flush/dry valve on the head to the right position or shut off the propane solenoid can all lead to issues that could easily cause the loss of the boat and in the case of propane—the loss of human life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.