Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009
In Constant Motion

JeffBurright is on a distinguished road
Would you ever rent your boat as a liveaboard?

Hi all,
I'm contemplating moving down to Portland for a while and leaving my sailboat (which I currently live aboard) at its slip in Seattle until summer and potentially beyond. I'm also toying with the idea of renting it out as a liveaboard while I'm away to defray slip costs, but I thought I'd ask around to see if anyone has done it and what the experience was like. Specifically, I'm curious about the following:

-- What kind of arrangement did/would you make with the renter regarding maintenance if needed?

-- What was the agreement if the renter damaged the boat? What about damage to their property due to fire/sinking/etc.?

-- Would you let them take the boat out sailing if they had sufficient experience? What about if you wanted to take the boat out for a day or weekend, is that a faux pas?

-- What other 'rules of the house' did/would you establish for someone living on your boat?

-- Any other pitfalls to consider?

-- Horror stories (if true) are welcome.

Thanks,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
This goes pretty much the way of "would you charter your boat" a thread you might want to check out as well.

For me it would come down to what my feelings are for the boat...If its my pride and joy then no..but if your pretty detaached from it emotionally and its 'just a boat" that can be replaced by another if need be then the short answer is yes.

I will leave all the other stuf to the other thread for you to read.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 12-16-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-16-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBurright View Post
Hi all,
-- Would you let them take the boat out sailing if they had sufficient experience? What about if you wanted to take the boat out for a day or weekend, is that a faux pas?
Not exactly the same thing but my friend has a boat he lives on during the summer. When he goes on vacation the boat is mine. I take it out day-sailing. Of course I fuss over the boat a lot more than he does so he doesn't worry. And of course I'm the one that is usually sailing with him when he is here.

This is such an individual arrangement I depends on the people involved.

One trick you could borrow from the charter people is to hold a deposit equal to the deductible of the insurance.
Old 12-16-2009

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post

One trick you could borrow from the charter people is to hold a deposit equal to the deductible of the insurance.
I'm pretty sure that (come time to make a claim) you'll be uninsured due to violating your policy if you rent out your boat. You may say that its hard to prove, but insurance agencies are getting pretty picky about cutting $100k+ checks lately
Old 12-17-2009
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
I did it. I ended up with 6 dead and unchargeable golf cart batteries ("Generator was too loud"), a missing solar panel (storm), a missing 12' aluminum skiff with a good outboard, and several hundred dollars not paid. He says that he moved off of the boat and forgot to tell me, so he doesn't owe me, the solar panel shouldn't have blown off, and that the guy he lent my skiff to knew me but he can't remember his name. Tom maybe. I never saw it again.
It's been a long time and I'm still pissed.
By this time, if I still had the boat, the solar panel would be inefficient at best, the outboard dead and the batteries would have been replaced at least once again and I'm still pissed.
at least I sold the boat for what I had in it.
Old 12-17-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
Insurance is a scam, and it corrupts the legal system, and is a waste of law enforcement dollars that could be better spent than sending patrol cars out to document petty damage and theft. I hate insurance companies. They are leeches.
Old 12-17-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Yes you will more then likely have to start a charter co to be able to rent out your boat legally as far as liability and ins coverage..it could still work with the right people..

Its being done both successful and unsuccessfully as we speak I will guarantee you that.

Insurance is a good thing...scamming on it on each other and involving Lawyers is whats caused the problem with about everything you can point at in society. Insurance is a piece of paper...a contract..it cant screw anyone ..its the deceit and lies we put on them or break them with that do the screwing and hurt people.

If you were in my shoes you would be glad I had it.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 12-17-2009 at 02:17 AM.
Old 12-21-2009
In Constant Motion

JeffBurright is on a distinguished road
Well I'm only in for 15K plus a whole lot of sweat equity since she's an older gal, but I do love her. I was thinking more about the risks of a clueless renter, but now you've got me worried about a shifty one too. The insurance point is a good one too - I couldn't remember how that would roll out legally if I'm not on hand when damage occurs.

I may put out feelers on craigslist anyway and see what breed of folks respond, and take it or leave it from there. I'd prefer to believe that there are other responsible, good-natured dreamers out there. Thanks for the advice.

If the insurance company asks, we never had this conversation.
Old 12-21-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
In this economy the %s are high it will not be a good deal for you. Listen to the person who lost his dink.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-21-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I probably would not do it in your situation just because you are going to be gone, it would be different if you could drive by and check on the boat from time to time. If it were a house you'd have the same problem, you would need someone local who could check in on it, or a property manager. If you have a close friend you can really count on who is willing to handle it for you then maybe. No renter is going to love the boat like you do.

Please support my