Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2009

Tanny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Tanny
Hello Mike,
Thanks for your info.
What type of boat did you purchase?
How did you find the broker in Montreal, and did you have to pay any additional fees, taxes in Mexico?
Did you sail the boat back to Canada, or are you planning to leave her in Mexico?
Regards,
Tanny
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
We bought in US

I am writing this from Grenada aboard our Bristol 45.5 that we bought in Connecticut. The boat has never been to Canada and likely will not go there so we are not liable for the GST and PST. Registration was easy - you first must have the US or other foreign registration cancelled and then proceed with the Canadian one. You do not need to pay taxes to get the registration. If you stay too long in any state they may ding you for state sales tax so best to investigate this.

I certainly would get a good Canadian broker to act on your behalf. It does not cost you anything since his cut comes from the selling broker (if you do not go this route, you should be able to cut a deal based on the fact that the selling broker gets the whole 10%). Considering that you are not very experienced I would have my own broker. It was for a much more expensive boat, but my broker went to CT with me to check out the boat before the offer went it. He should also give you advice on what particular boats would suit your needs and budget. Then he would look for suitable candidates in one region so you could go to look at several boats rather than just one. Also brokers have access to a part of Yachtworld that indicates how much particular boats have sold for in recent months - Knowing this could save you some money.

Florida (and Caribbean) boats are often cheap but they are used 12 months a year in most cases. There are a lot of really good boats in Long Island Sound, Chesapeake and New England that are used seasonally and more likely to have radar and less likely to have A/C. Buying in the northeast would give you the trip down to Florida to built expertise. BTW, going from Florida to the BVI involves a great deal of windward work. You would find that boats like older Tayanas and Hans Christians would not shine at this. You would still get there just take longer.

Good luck
Old 01-04-2010

Tanny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Tanny
killarney,
Thanks for the info.
I appreciate your post!
I know that the full keel, heavier boats are more difficult to sail into the wind, but as you noted, I would still get there!
That's the goal. I'm not in a hurry.
I'm trying to contact Canadian brokers. I agree that I need one.
Cheers!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Where are you?

Boat brokers have, shall we say, a mixed reputation. It is a buyer's market to be sure and you should expect very good service from your broker. If you are in southern Ontario I can recommend Dave Harris in Oakville. He has a wealth of experience and good contacts in the northeastern US (don't know elsewhere). If you sat down with him or someone of similar ability he could suggest boats that would do what you want.

As to boat types, everyone has personal preferences. I did not know Bristols until I ended up buying one but I must say I am impressed. Look for models with a decimal in their name like 35.5 and 41.1. In the latter part of the company's history they went up market with their line of boats (starting with 29.9). Ted Hood, the designer, is an absolute sailing genius and designed these boats to be racer-cruisers in spite of being quite heavy displacement. My 45.5 is 35,000 lb on the spec sheet but is probably over 40,000 when loaded (a Little Harbor 46 which is very similar was 32K on the spec sheet and weighed 46000 when measured for a racing certificate). The displacement means you can carry stuff but almost all of these boats have centerboards which means you can point. We had 400 miles exactly to windward coming down to St Thomas from the Chesapeake and sailed probably 370 of that. We can point to slightly less than 30 degrees apparent with the board down - 11 foot draft, but with the board up we are only 4'10". Smaller Bristols would be proportionate to this.

One other thought, if you are going to be in the Caribbean might as well check out some boats while here. You may find some really good deals. Do your homework with your broker in Canada first though so you know what you are looking at is a reasonable possibility.
Old 01-05-2010
Cabo Rico 38

jongoose is on a distinguished road
Cabo Rico 38

Tanny

I have a 1985 Cabo Rico 38 on the market in Rock Hall MD (Chesapeake Bay), it is a well found bluewater cruiser and my original plan was to do what you are planning with the boat. Plans have changed as sometimes we are forced to do. If you are interested you can view the boat on Yachtworld or at the Salt brokerage site which is our broker. Tom Lippincott is and experienced cruiser himself and a wonderful person to talk to, very informative. One of the members of our sailing association just sold there boat to a Canadian who is currently living on the boat in hopes of getting a weather window to head south. Mother nature has not been kind to him so far.

Good Luck
Hal