Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2009
Future Catamaran Owner

OziDude is on a distinguished road
Im not a big seafood eater either. Im in the planning process of becoming a liveaboard. I guess I will stock up with "SPAM" (I actually like SPAM) and other great tinned meats

The only fish I will eat is Coral Trout...cooked by wrapping in foil, with a variety of fruits. I will eat prawns though...all other seafood is out.

I do like fishing so others do quite well from what I catch.

Ozi
Old 12-26-2009
Reasonably Happy Member

PaulDolan is on a distinguished road
If you dont like seafood...dont eat it. Its not like you cant find something else to eat out here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-26-2009

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy1414 View Post
Jeez, Mario, you worry about what you eat eats? Can't get much worse than eating a cow then ...... It eats it's own vomit ........ over and over ....... mmmm.

So do honeybees. And yet they produce the only food that never spoils.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-26-2009

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Gringos View Post
I won't eat lobster or crabs. They are the Buzzards of the Sea.
If buzzards tasted as good as fresh caught lobster or crab, I'd play dead amongst the palmetto bushes until I ate my share!

You really haven't eaten REAL seafood unless it's FRESH. There is a huge difference in fresh seafood and what you get at Red Lobster. Ever go to Publix and smell the seafood counter? Jeez... that's not seafood. FRESH seafood doesn't smell...try a bug you've caught or a Mahi, tuna or another pelagic, you won't believe the difference. It's not fresh unless you've seen it wiggle!
Old 12-26-2009

2Gringos is on a distinguished road
In my case, it's not fresh unless I have personally caught and cleaned it.
I don't buy fish that's packaged. I don't order fish in restaurants. Ever notice that grouper is always on the menu? Whether anyone has caught any grouper that day or not? People who eat grouper and dolphin ( mahi for the polynesians) in restaurants will eventually be eating barracuda without knowing it. Tuna is hard to fake. Scallops, easy to fake.

We have no Publix here. Also no MacDonalds, No Burger King. No Radio Shack. No Sears. No Jiffy Lube. No Midas. No red light. No SeaTow. No Bass Pro. No West Marine. No speed traps. No breathalyzer. No Coast Guard. No Walgreens. No Baskin-Robbins. No K-Mart,Walmart, Sams, BJs,......

you get the idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-26-2009

MtHopeBay is on a distinguished road
canned meat other than spam

My wife won't eat seafood unless it doesn't tast like seafood: canned tuna with lots of mayo, some fish sticks that don't taste like fish. I, on the other hand, love all that comes out of the sea and the bay. I get hungry and start to drool when I get near the bay at low tide. She gets queasy.

I've brought lots of canned chicken and canned sausages aboard for her. Canned corned beef isn't to bad hashed up with other stuff. She's pretty picky and will go hungry when we're aboard. I just pull up the crab trap or dig some clams and I have a snack.
Mike
Cal 36 #54
Ida Rose
Old 12-26-2009

davidpm is on a distinguished road
When we first got married my wife had the same taste about fish as you. We had sailed to Marathon Key in Fl and a young hippie couple who was living in one of those 8' camper trailers, it was literally smaller than our 22' O'Day, sort of mentored us for a few days.

They were horrified that Diane didn't like fish so the guy caught a fish and prepared it for dinner for us. Time from swimming to plate about an hour. She loved it and started eating fish from then on, but only very good mild fish.
So maybe you just haven't had it prepared properly yet.
Old 12-26-2009

lapworth is on a distinguished road
I would rather eat from the water then any fast food place. If you saw how food is processed and handled you might change your mind about crabs and lobster. You better never go to a chicken farm or slaughter house. I can't believe what people convince them selves is good and bad. Bring some twinkies and when every one is enjoying the fresh cath of the day you can say "no thanks I brought my own snack".
Old 12-26-2009

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
What do you mean by about to become a live-aboard and what do you consider a live-aboard? Where do you plan to cruise if that is what you mean? Many liveaboards are in marinas never leaving the docks and shop at the super market just a few blocks away.... if so you eat what you want.

If you mean actively cruising and living-aboard you may have to take into consideration what will be most available and what alternatives you will need to take.

I know of no nation that would require you to eat fish or any other sea food. In some locations local seafood may be one of the most available sources of protein and some limits on other types such as select cuts of beef would be less available or cost prohibitive.

I personally didn't really know what seafood was in the area I was born and raised. Only one seafood market existed and the local supermarkets didn't carry much more than Mrs Paule's frozen fish sticks and her breaded Shrimp.... which I had a couple of time and also decided I did not like seafood. It was not until some years later I had REAL Sea food and discovered it was far better than beef chicken or pork or Spam what ever that Really Is.

While some cruisers do fish for part of their food source, others do not. In some locations such as the BVI non belongers can not fish or take any seafood from the sea unless they have a rather expensive Government Issued license. When in the BVI I find it far cheaper and easier to obtain my seafood from stores or restaurants rather than attempt to catch and clean it from a sailing boat.

I'm in the Caribbean generally about 5 to 6 months a year.... now full time. Often when I eat ashore I select seafood and probably about 30% of what I eat on-board is seafood but most from tins with grilled being the 2nd most frequent.

Like or dislike of seafood it not a medical problem is generally associated with the cleaning process... if so avoid it.

Eat it at good restaurants and see what good seafood taste like... I think you may be surprised. The first time... have a few drinks to relax yourself and go for it! You will probably find your dislike was as ill founded as mine was.
Old 12-26-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioG View Post
.......the only thing fishiy I'll eat is tuna from a can and fish sticks which I know isn't sea food.......
Tuna & fish sticks are not growing in the Nebraska wheat fields! It's Seafood!-,but who cares. I've been living aboard for four decades and I don't fish or grill or have much of a care about what I eat besides staying healthy. Cans of tuna or anything else are far easier to prepare as a meal than catching, cleaning and preparing something fresh from the sea. Great for those that love it, but far better for those that are not "high maintenance" eaters and can be satisfied with simple fare. Those that are slaves to specific tastes are those with the handicap! Enjoy your tuna and spam, Aythya crew

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.