Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010
San Juan 26

LittleMissMagic is on a distinguished road
I remember reading an article some years ago, which magazine I'm not sure, about sailing to Cuba. If I remember correctly, the issue with US authorities is trade with Cuba. It was stated that if you spent no money in Cuba, then you weren't in violation of any US laws. Remember, the US only has a trade embargo with Cuba. I seem to remember that there were ways of circumventing these laws by using travel services (Canadian?) to purchase meal and fuel vouchers that can be used in Cuban ports. Sorry but I can't remember any details.
I'd like to travel to Cuba one day, I think if it is ever opened up to US tourism we will ruin the country's nostalgia. There is a lot of history there and some great dive locations from what I understand.
I would suggest contacting a Canadian consulate and asking them what is required for legal entry, since you probably won't get a straight answer from a US bureaucrat.
Old 01-03-2010

sarafinadh is on a distinguished road
uhhh.... it is possible to do safely with a bit of creativity...

http://www.ibike.org/cuba/ofac/cuba-travelto.htm

U.S. Treasury - Sanctions Program Summaries - Cuba

Just gotta work the system intelligently...

Himself has a big yen to visit Cuba and will be exercising the arts exchange card to facilitate the visit. Interpret arts exchange as drinking rum and listening to Cuban music all night long ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2010

fourdegreesc is on a distinguished road
Cuba understands the problems with Americans returning from there and they will not stamp your passport if you ask them.

-dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-04-2010
vagrant

bobwebster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpickle View Post
IF you are an American Citz, the you can get Arrested for going to Cuba !
It is not illegal to visit Cuba. It is illegal for a U.S. citizen to spend money in Cuba, with certain exceptions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2010
captain mike

capt13 is on a distinguished road
I know someone who went to Cuba 5 years ago in 2005 with a C&C that they totally gutted and put all new wood, and electronics on the boat. they sailed into Cuban waters on the boat, and the Cuban government took their boat, and put them, and their cat on their life raft where they spent 3 days out in the gulf till another boat picked them up. they said the boat sank for insurance reasons. Moral of the story is DON'T GO TO CUBA! Not a very good idea!
Old 01-20-2010

XTR is on a distinguished road
I've visited there in about 2003. I went on a license, and I declared the visit on my customs paperwork when I re-entered the US. No hassles. It used to be easier than it is today to make legal trips. The Bush admin tightened the requirements.

For a US citizen taking a boat to Cuba is a bad plan. If you are a US citizen and they decide to take your boat you really have no recourse, and a lone boat cruising the coast can easily upset the local gunboats. (doing a tournament or a race may be another story)

For a non-US citizen, I wouldn't worry about it any more than the DR or Costa Rica and I don't think the US customs folks will care one way or the other what stamps you have. (SKIP HAITI)
Old 01-23-2010
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTR View Post
I've visited there in about 2003. I went on a license, and I declared the visit on my customs paperwork when I re-entered the US. No hassles. It used to be easier than it is today to make legal trips. The Bush admin tightened the requirements.

For a US citizen taking a boat to Cuba is a bad plan. If you are a US citizen and they decide to take your boat you really have no recourse, and a lone boat cruising the coast can easily upset the local gunboats. (doing a tournament or a race may be another story)

For a non-US citizen, I wouldn't worry about it any more than the DR or Costa Rica and I don't think the US customs folks will care one way or the other what stamps you have. (SKIP HAITI)
Is there a port still standing in Haiti?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Old 01-23-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
Free trade hasn't really helped Somalia or Haiti has it? If our world leaders keep this behavior up, the whole world will be unsafe. You can only exploit people so much before they start doing what is necessary to survive.
Old 01-23-2010
GreenasGrass

adamsaquatics is on a distinguished road
Well...they say that Cuban cigars are the best. But I'll bet that Dominican Republic cigars are 99% as good. Far less risky to be sure.

Michael Moore filmed part of his movie 'Sicko' in Cuba. I am sure there are legal ways to visit if one is determined.

I had a college roommate who visited Russia and smuggled a large Russian flag out. Ballsy I say. This was in the 70's.
Old 01-24-2010

Paddler76 is on a distinguished road
As one who has been there..when you hand over your Passport to a cuban offical..make sure there is a ten or twenty folded inside.He or she will quickly discard the entrance stamp in their hand and welcome you with a big smile. Let cuban imagration know long in advance know what you want to do . Copy and take with you any correspondence. It may result in a blank stare but at least the people on the lower rung will know you have been in communication with those on the upper rung If at first you get a no..try another ten and a final decision can be really slow ..so just think of it as a take off on "Slow Boat To China". Sailors who have the best experience in Cuba are those pay close attention to charts and weather(not brain surgery but with charts you are really gambling.} As far as weather you are only 90 miles from the tower for NWS in Key West. Last but not least..at least have a working knowledge of the language Many cubans consider it an insult if you don't at least try to speak their language..and if you stumble..that's O.K. They know you are trying.. That can bring another smile and further assistance from friends and relatives and a possible reason for them to declare celebration time.