Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 9
a partial list of upgrades I'd make to any boat before circumnav.
1) Storm sails
3) SSB and associated equipment
5) Engine spares for nearly every bolton component (pumps, alternator, filters, etc, etc)
6) Lee cloths
7) Beef up # of handholds across the interior
8) Bigger and better battery banks (golf cart batteries)
9) Install at least 2 more bilge pumps (redundant, independent)....1 being a manual pump
10) Solar Panels...Wind Gen...or both
11) Hacksaw & Tools (to cut rigging in case you lose the rigging)
12) Emergency tiller
13) Keep parts around to jury rig a spare rudder. Your rudder on this 373 is very exposed...and greatly vulnerable out in the wild blue yonder
14) Liferaft (6 person, offshore capable...certifed).
15) Some kind of self steering beyond your autopilot. The problem is that modern Beneteaus have sugar-scoop transoms, which makes installation a very custom affair...pricey.
16) Bigger fuel tanks...the 373 has what, 30 gallon fuel tanks? Need at least 120 gallons of fuel for serious voyaging
Oh man, the list would go on...thats just a start.
Last edited by night0wl; 01-05-2010 at 12:48 AM.