Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010
Just a kid with a boat.

leland515 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to leland515
I was thinking camp stove because it's really cheap, and I only need to heat up canned goods, what's the lowest end stove I can get that's really cheap?

Anddd.. What do y'all recommend in the area of coolers?
Small boat, I refuse to use a fridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2010
Just a kid with a boat.

leland515 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to leland515
Still sounds pretty cheap, the longest I plan to sail is 10 days stopping every night
Old 01-12-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by leland515 View Post
I was thinking camp stove because it's really cheap, and I only need to heat up canned goods, what's the lowest end stove I can get that's really cheap?

Anddd.. What do y'all recommend in the area of coolers?
Small boat, I refuse to use a fridge.
You want cheap ?
  • Kerosene
  • Sock
  • Pint sized mason jar w/ lid
  • Knife
  • Lighter

Poke a few holes in the mason jar lid from the bottom up so that the jagged parts are pointing up out of the mason jar, arrange holes in a circle around the edge of the lid like a burner on a stove. Cut sock into long strips. Pull a few (3 - 5) long strips through holes in the mason jar so that they stick out of the top a little but dangle down into the mason jar and touch the bottom (edit- try not to make the holes any bigger than they need to be to pull sock strips through, if they are too big the sock strips will want to fall out). Fill mason jar w/ kerosene, put lid on mason jar. Let the sock pieces (wicks) soak up some fuel until you can squeeze the wick between your fingers and get fuel on your fingers, then light them on fire.

Enjoy your new stove.

You can only use the stove in the cockpit because the kerosene will give off a lot of black soot, but it may be possible to trim the wicks to the point that they don't smoke. You have to find a way to suspend the pan over the mason jar so the flame can get to it, twist a few dry cleaning clothes hangers the right way and it would probably work out - I'd never take my eyes off of a stove like this, if it tips over it could start a fire. Use at your own risk. This stove is hot enough to cook anything that a normal camp stove can cook, the more holes you make in the mason jar and the more wicks, the hotter it gets.

Edit - you can also use a 5$us oil lamp w/ kerosene in it if you can figure out a way to suspend your pan over top of the oil lamp so the heat gets to it, I have cooked this way before, it is good enough to heat up water for oatmeal and canned goods, but not good enough to boil water.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 01-12-2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: sp
Old 01-12-2010
NorCal refugee in SoCal

CoastalEddie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
You want cheap ?
  • Kerosene
  • Sock
  • Pint sized mason jar w/ lid
  • Knife
  • Lighter
AND you stand a better than even chance of getting on the six-o'clock news. (Actually, that sounds like something I might have tried two or three decades ago.)

Remember, plunking down a C-note (or a bit more) for a decent stove may hurt a bit, but it will only be a figurative (and transient) pain.
Old 01-12-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalEddie View Post
AND you stand a better than even chance of getting on the six-o'clock news. (Actually, that sounds like something I might have tried two or three decades ago.)
I've made three stoves like this to cook on (at various times) and I've prepared quite a few meals on stoves exactly like this! The biggest concern is if the mason jar falls and breaks, because then the entire wick is going to catch fire and it'll have plenty of kerosene to encourage it. But for heating up canned goods and things like that, boiling water, I think it's great, because you can just stand there and hold your pan over the jar for a few minutes while you're cooking and keep your eyes on it.

Of course, I'd rather have my camp stove.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 01-12-2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: sp, edited also
Old 01-12-2010
NorCal refugee in SoCal

CoastalEddie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
I've made three stoves like this to cook and I've prepared quite a few meals on stoves exactly like this! The biggest concern is if the mason jar falls and breaks, because then the entire wick is going to catch fire and it'll have plenty of kerosene to encourage it. But for heating up canned goods and things like that, boiling water, I think it's great, because you can just stand there and hold your pan over the jar for a few minutes while you're cooking and keep your eyes on it.
Oh, I don't doubt that it would work. But, a flammable liquid in a glass container on a little boat? I'll pass.

For years I used a Optimus Svea climber's stove (a self pressurized, white gas stove; essentially a controlled explosion, in a really cool-looking brass container). The funnest part was priming the beast, lighting it, and waiting for the flames to die down enough to get the key in the valve before the flames went out completely (or, the relief valve popped off), w/o losing my eyebrows.

But ONLY for camping. NEVER on a boat.

Last edited by CoastalEddie; 01-12-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalEddie View Post
Oh, I don't doubt that it would work. But, a flammable liquid in a glass container on a little boat? I'll pass.
You know it just occurred to me that I'm telling a kid how to make a stove out of a mason jar, Leland, buy a real stove!

Please support my
Old 01-12-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
That Svea 123 takes me back. I still have (and occasionally use) the one that I bought back in high school days. Amazingly reliable and could burn just about anything (never did try whale oil in the thing). The biggest hassle was that wierdly linked chain on the valve key. Alway had to untangle it. Pouring gas into the pre-heat depression without spilling was also interesting. I eventually found this priming paste in a tube which allowed my eyebrows to grow back in. Had a Primus stove on a gimbal on my first boat that I used with alcohol instead of kerosene. The flare ups when starting were pretty dramatic and I always moved the curtains far away when cooking.

Last edited by GeorgeB; 01-12-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I will probably be crucified for admitting this - but I converted the Princess alcohol stove on my C27 to gas by buying a campstove - pulling the innards out of it (after making sure everything aligned properly) and mounting the burner/valve assembly in the Princess body. Worked like a charm.

I had to drill a 1.25" hole in the galley cabinet end panel so I could access the connector for the regulator. And I also bought an 8' extension hose so we can keep the propane canister in the cockpit for some measure of safety.

So now we've got the original Princess with its pot-holders, etc, but it actually cooks like a mutha.

I did a lot of research on how to do it and saw a lot of pros and cons. Thus far, we're not dead...and we're eating pretty well during our weekenders.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-12-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-12-2010
captain mike

capt13 is on a distinguished road
I lived on a san juan 24 in South Florida for 5 years, before I got my Columbia 29. and I used to use the camp stove in the cockpit. that way the grease dont get all over your cabin. All you need on a San Juan is a Cooler, a camp stove, and a solar shower. Don't forget to get 2-3 solar lights, One for the inside cabin, one for the back forestay, and one at the top of the mast, they sure save your batterys

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.