Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2003

SwedeSailor is on a distinguished road
Sailing the 26.000 Islands!

Hi all!
I just became "member" of the site and have read quite a few interesting messages and answers. I am aware of the fact that most of you are not sailing in the same part of the world as I am, but we have a lot in common anyway.
I am Swedish and have mainly sailed the waters around the Scandinavian countries. I have sailed acress "the pond" to the Caribbean and cruised around the Windward islands for a few months, but I mainly stay in the beautiful archipelago of Stockholm. We do not have navigational difficulties due to tidal issues around here, but believe me, it can be quite tricky at times to navigate among the 26.000 islands and also try to avoid all the stuff which can not be called island yet, since they are just below the surface...
The season is perhaps not as long up here as in many other parts of the world, but I sail with my boat during at least 4 months every year. (This part of the year we instead use the waters for ice skating, which is also not so bad!)
There are many places in the world to sail and it would be a shame to start comparing them all with each other. All I can say is that sailing in Sweden is one of the most beautiful experiences I can imagine! I just love it!
So why do I say all this? Well, it would be interesting to see how many of you have sailed in the Scandinavian waters, or have at any point been thinking about it. It would also be nice to meet fellow sailers here on Sailnet and perhaps sail together on each others boats, in different parts of the world. Who wants to sail in Sweden? Raise your hands! ;--))
Best regards from a wintery Sweden with -15C and 35 cm of ice!
/Stefan
PS. This summer we had about 3 months with temperatures around 25-30C, so don''t worry too much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2003

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road

Stefan/SwedeSailor:

Welcome to SailNet. I can''t take you up on the offer to sail in your home waters, but it does sound pretty inviting. Hopefully, you will find a match for some boat swapping.

Fair winds,
Duane
Old 02-03-2003

waltzingmatilda is on a distinguished road

Hi Stefan,
Welcome to Sailnet. Your part of the world has always fascinated me, but as of yet I have not made it there. Perhaps one day my pipedream will come true and I''ll be able to make it over the north Atlantic to Scandinavia on my own boat (Cape Dory 26). Even if it''s only a pipedream, it''s the thing that helps keep me going. Good luck and I hope one day you''ll see lots of North American sailors in your 26,000 islands.
Fair winds,
Peter K., S/V Waltzing Matilda
Cape Dory 26, Hull #42
Old 03-18-2003

SwedeSailor is on a distinguished road

The ice is melting on the lakes now. Summer is on its way! Yihaaa!
Old 04-23-2009

MovementSailing is on a distinguished road
Hey mate. My name is Denis. I work as a professional yacht captain. I will be taking over a private boat (sunreef 62) in june. The boat is being built now in Poland and should be finished on june 15. The owner would like to take his family on a trip for 10 days in scandinavia. I have never sailed in this part of the world before and I am having trouble finding information/itineraries. I'm not sure wether to start in Stockholm and do the archipelago for 10 days or start in Gothenburg? on the west coast and make way toward Norway. Any info you have would be really helpful. Also, because we are bigger, 62 LOA and 32 ft beam, will we have trouble finding harbors large enough to accomodate us? The owner has no desire to swim in cold water as he is from the caribbean but would like to enjoy the scenery, villages, and culture with less than 8 hours sailing per day. Any advice??
Old 04-23-2009

stewsam is on a distinguished road
About 25 years ago I sailed in Scandanavia aboard TS Royalist the sail training brig of the Sea Cadet Corp in the UK. Sailing from Aberdeen in Scotland to Bergen in Norway through the Hardanger Fjord and down the coast to Kristiansand was a great experience...stopping at some amazing small places along the way...then across to Fredrikshavn in Denmark...

I remember Norway for the trees and the glaciers, and Denmark for the welcome and the beers!!

I hope to one day sail around the Baltic visiting friends in Malmo, Stockholm and Turku!

Stewart
Old 04-23-2009

EpicAdventure is on a distinguished road
Interesting how these old threads occasionally become revived!
Old 04-23-2009

stewsam is on a distinguished road
Maybe it'll bring the SwedeSailor back to life!
Old 04-23-2009

MovementSailing is on a distinguished road
didnt really notice the date when i responded but hopefully there is someone who sees this and knows the waters

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.