SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Can it be done in March???

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Mechsmith 
#1 ·
Im looking for some input on leaving the Delaware Bay heading south in early March. I want to leave Lewes, head south staying within 12nm of shore to the bay bridge tunnel area. From there i would like to keep heading south on the ocean side ending up in Savanah. Is this possible staying on the inside of the stream. I do not really want to take the ICW due to the fact im looking for that warm weather...after studying my charts it looks possible to do this, but I would like some more experienced insight.

#4 ·
Just be aware that the Norfolk-Albemarle canal and Alligator River/Pungo River canal are generally hazard ridden and you should stick to the center of the channel if possible. I recently did the trip from Norfolk-to-Belhaven section of it.

#5 ·
I left the Corotoman River 5 Mar 04 headed south. Never got out of longjohns and coveralls till Wilmington. Got back into them in the Cape Fear River and stayed in them til Myrtle Beach. We stayed inside since it was just too cold and uncomfortable and inside we could find a place out of the wind to sleep. I think that may have been unusually cold that spring but I haven't tried it since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.