Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
30-year-old CSY 33. Love it! Great, sturdy, comfy-but-slow coastal cruiser.
Thanks Eryka,
Would you mind if I started a thread where I re-posted some of the stuff from this thread and did an on-line interview.

We get at least one dreamer a month with about 5 posts telling us how they are going to buy a 15,000 dollar boat, fix it up for $500 and sail the world. Or worse build their own boat over the winter, launch in the spring and save a tone of money.
Since SailNet is partly about education it would be great to have a thread to refer people to that demonstrates a realistic process.

You and your husband have put a huge amount of thinking, shopping, research, planning and design which seldom gets documented to say nothing about the obvious labor and money investment.
You should be very proud of your success.

If you are game I'll ask the questions.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
David—

I'd point out that some people can indeed get a boat for $15,000 and fix it up and sail...but the requirements they are going to have are going to be very different from what Eryka and her husband have. For instance, chances are likely that they are a good deal younger, with fewer financial resources and lower standards of what living conditions they'll put up with to achieve their goals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-06-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
David—

I'd point out that some people can indeed get a boat for $15,000 and fix it up and sail...but the requirements they are going to have are going to be very different from what Eryka and her husband have. For instance, chances are likely that they are a good deal younger, with fewer financial resources and lower standards of what living conditions they'll put up with to achieve their goals.
Actually I've done it for that exact number (15) and didn't even worry about the fix up part so I know exactly what you mean.
However I was always worried about the engine, the water did not work, none of the electronics worked, the rigging was original, the steering failed and there was much, much more wrong. It did sail however and that was the point.
Of course I was not moving aboard with my wife and promising a few years of safe, fun sailing in new and exotic ports either.
Old 02-07-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
David—

S'dog is right about that! We spent a lot of time on our $10K Ericson 27. After a while I got tired of no hot water, a Coleman stove to cook the canned food (no refrig so canned food was all we had), hand-steering everywhere ... Wouldn't it be dreadful to give up on the cuirsing dream not because you ran out of money or health, but because you got burned out on camping out?

When we were in St Augustine, the Coast Guard towed in a boat with a couple of dreamers. Their old sails were shredded, and they couldn't start their old engine. THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO BUY CURRENT CHARTS!!!! Sigh. Your and my tax dollars went to thwarting Darwin ...
Old 02-07-2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Thanks Eryka,
Would you mind if I started a thread where I re-posted some of the stuff from this thread and did an on-line interview.

We get at least one dreamer a month with about 5 posts telling us how they are going to buy a 15,000 dollar boat, fix it up for $500 and sail the world. Or worse build their own boat over the winter, launch in the spring and save a tone of money.
Since SailNet is partly about education it would be great to have a thread to refer people to that demonstrates a realistic process.

You and your husband have put a huge amount of thinking, shopping, research, planning and design which seldom gets documented to say nothing about the obvious labor and money investment.
You should be very proud of your success.

If you are game I'll ask the questions.
David, feel free to do what you want with anything I've offered. If you have more questions, lets do it by email (my email is just my screen name @att.net). I have limited internet here in Paradise I'd encourage you to get more opinions than just mine, of course, "fair and balanced" and all that yada yada. We're off to Eleuthera tomorrow so if you don't hear back from me after today you'll know why ...
Old 02-07-2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by j34035 View Post
Eryka,
My retired co-worker called me yesterday to chat a bit. He and his wife are cruising a Defever 49 named "Trust Me". He told me as of yesterday, they were in Staniel Cay for a few days. If you see his boat, give him a shout and tell him "Sparkie" says hello. They are good guys and this is their first cruise. They are living the dream (as it sounds like you are!). I checked your link, the sharks are cool............
DD
Doug, sorry, the other half of my reply was lost in cyberland (internet is sometimes quirky here in Paradise). Thanx for reading the blog. The sharks were absolutely fascinating in their economy of movement. Their skin felt like pebbled leather, and I learned that these nurse sharks have - according to a Bahamian fisherman - only "tiny little teeths" and they suck things (like fingers!) in more than bite. They're not very aggressive, either, so you see I'm not quite as brave as it looks in the photo.
Old 02-07-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
That's 14400$us/year, assuming that is post tax at about a quarter, then that is about 18k$us net income. The mean personal income in the United States is only 25k$us, 18k$us is 72% of what the statistically mean individual over 18 years old in American makes every year. That's quite an offering to the altar of Asclepius!

Windy,

I agree, especially when you add in the out-of-pockets we also incur. BCBS is making out quite well (touch wood).

On the other hand, to be fair, per capita (for our family of 5) it's much less than it appears in the aggregate. More like $4-4.5K per person/year.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 02-09-2010

random42 is on a distinguished road
Some good ideas here, but this one caught my eye...

Quote:
$400/month for food;
I'm pretty sure my wife spends more than that per week - just on fresh produce etc
Old 02-12-2010

elkscout is on a distinguished road
Wow!

Quote:
Thanx Davidpm, we think the boat is "pretty sweet" now ourselves Here's how our numbers broke out:

(all prices in boat bucks, a.k.a, thousands of dollars)

Yanmar engine 20....
This has been a very informative thread. Eryka mentioned budgeting for $500/mo. for maintenance. I'm hoping and wondering with pratically everything replaced, how much of that maintenance budget are you saving?

The $20,000 question is what kind of engine did you guys purchase? Is it silver plated? I realize marine engines go for a premium- i.e. the first website searched showed $7500 for a rebuilt 75hp Yanmar 4 cyl turbo diesel. Even if 10 to 12K for spent towards new one, that would dictate 8 to 10K for installation. As a professional mechanic, sounds like I'm working in the wrong industry. Of course, all that matters is that you have peace of mind.

This thread reminds me of another family I read about who circumnavigated the world, and as I recollect, they claimed to have spent approx. 90% of their time doing maintenance/repairs. That is totally asinine. I hope it was an extreme exaggeration. If not, I will not be taking up any bluewater or coastal cruising.
Old 02-12-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
elkscout,

$20K for a new, 75 hp marinized diesel engine (presumably with transmission), installed, would not be far fetched. That figure might also include some of the "running gear" (e.g. shaft, cutless bearing, dripless shaft seal, etc), which most folks would go ahead and swap if they were going to the effort of replacing engine.

Installation labor can be pretty steep compared to autos/trucks. Access is often very tricky and requires some choreographing. Have a look at this thread to get an idea: Buyer Beware

When paying someone else to perform the installation, it rarely makes sense to "economize" on a re-built engine because the cost of labor can be the larger portion of overall cost. Given the investment in labor, it usually makes more sense to swap for a new engine.

If you're a DIY, of course the costs are very different.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT