SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Houston Texas (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/61802-houston-texas.html)

OTIMO 02-04-2010 10:27 PM

Houston Texas

Relocating to the Houston Texas area, and will be looking for a live aboard Marina that is close to the IAH Intl' Airport. I like the Kemah area but am worried the commute would kill me, it seems like a 30-45 minute drive but I a hearing a 2:00 drive to the Airport????

Any help on a nice Marina that would be close to IAH?

Many thanks!

mdbee 02-04-2010 11:34 PM

Drive

30 - 40 min drive? :laugher

Sorry, no suggestions. Bush is quite aways inland / lots of traffic.

Maybe someone else has a thought.

Where are you planning on sailing? Bay / Gulf?

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTIMO (Post 567152)
Relocating to the Houston Texas area, and will be looking for a live aboard Marina that is close to the IAH Intl' Airport. I like the Kemah area but am worried the commute would kill me, it seems like a 30-45 minute drive but I a hearing a 2:00 drive to the Airport????

Any help on a nice Marina that would be close to IAH?

Many thanks!

RainDog 02-05-2010 12:36 AM

What time will your commute be? I drive from Kemah to Austin every Monday morning. I can drive all the way across Houston at 70 mph, but I start at 6 and am clear of Houston by 7. If I tried leaving at 7:30, I bet it would take considerably longer.

OTIMO 02-05-2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainDog (Post 567192)
What time will your commute be? I drive from Kemah to Austin every Monday morning. I can drive all the way across Houston at 70 mph, but I start at 6 and am clear of Houston by 7. If I tried leaving at 7:30, I bet it would take considerably longer.

I can be pretty flexiable with my commute times. I can leave around 0700 or wait until 0900.

Is there any other Marina options closer to IAH. I dont mind a 30-45 minute drive one way.

Parclan 02-06-2010 12:18 AM

Suggest you look at a map - there ain't no marinas near IAH. It is +40 miles inland.

PBzeer 02-06-2010 03:01 AM

You might find something up around the North end of the Bay, though I don't recall much there, which would put you near I-10. You're pretty much stuck with Kemah/Seabrook. Too bad you aren't going to Hobby instead.

OTIMO 02-06-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parclan (Post 567518)
Suggest you look at a map - there ain't no marinas near IAH. It is +40 miles inland.

That is :15 seconds of my life I will never get back!

I fully understand that there are no Marina's RIGHT at the IAH airport.

OTIMO 02-06-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBzeer (Post 567540)
You might find something up around the North end of the Bay, though I don't recall much there, which would put you near I-10. You're pretty much stuck with Kemah/Seabrook. Too bad you aren't going to Hobby instead.

I will have some duites to tend to near Hobby. My main office will be at IAH though...I really want to live on my boat in Texas. I will take a road trip and check out anything closer up on the North Side of the Bay.

Thanks to all who have responded....

CrazyRu 02-06-2010 02:03 PM

There was a marina in Baytown, just by 146 bridge, if it is still there, after Ike.
It is shorter drive to IAH bypassing the city. Marina didn't look as good as ones on Clear Lake.
Lots of shallow water. Rates were cheap. They were fine with live-aboard when I checked with them three years ago...

OTIMO 02-06-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRu (Post 567673)
There was a marina in Baytown, just by 146 bridge, if it is still there, after Ike.
It is shorter drive to IAH bypassing the city. Marina didn't look as good as ones on Clear Lake.
Lots of shallow water. Rates were cheap. They were fine with live-aboard when I checked with them three years ago...

I'll check them out...and for the lurkers out there I will post back what I find.

I only draft 4' or so....