SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Abacos, Bahamas to Maine ASAP (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/61943-abacos-bahamas-maine-asap.html)

BrickPearson26 02-11-2010 10:22 AM

Abacos, Bahamas to Maine ASAP
 
Hi All,
I am currently anchored in Treasure Cay in the middle of the Abacos. I just got hired for a job in Maine, and they want me to start the position ASAP. So, my question is how soon can I safely make the trip back up the coast. My route will be sail to from West End to West Palm Beach (I need to stop in Jupiter to pick up my charts from a friends house), and then take the ICW up to VA, then go up the Chesapeake, down the Delaware, up the Jersey coast, go through Long Island Sounds and take the C&C canal. My destination is the Piscataqua River, which is the southernmost part of Maine.
I am sailing on a 1973 Pearson 30. While we am open to hopping out of the ICW for 24 hours if the weather is right, we do not want to do any extended offshore passages.
When we sailed down here, we left October 26th from the Piscataqua River and were cold practically the entire way south. We got into a couple of gales, and got beat up pretty good off the Jersey Coast. Basically, I want the cruise north to be as comfortable as possible. Cold weather does not really bother my crew or I. However, nasty weather does. I want to try to avoid dangerous conditions if at all possible.
How early can a boat safely make the trip north?
I told my employer that I cannot make it there until at least early to mid May, but I said I cannot commit to any date because its all weather dependent. Is May reasonable?

eherlihy 02-11-2010 10:30 AM

Dude,

In this economy, I suggest flying to Maine, and starting the job ASAP! There are currently over 15 Million Americans that are unemployed, and probably the same number that are under-employed. I'm in the former category.

After you've done what ever it is that they want you to do for a few months, take some extended vacation time when the weather is nice, and bring the boat back in June.

xort 02-11-2010 10:50 AM

If the employer is good with May, then get as far as you reasonably can, probably the northern Chessy, and then take the train to Maine. Come back when you can to finish the move.

sailhagg 02-11-2010 10:52 AM

Yeah, I'll second eherlihy! This past year's been really difficult and it's not looking better any time soon. Any business that's hiring right now should be treated like a God send. Hop a plane, get to work and come back with a good weather window for the boat. If you wait, you may find someone took the job from you. Unless of course you're the only rocket scientist that can make the gizmo-cog....

sck5 02-11-2010 10:53 AM

northern chesapeake is under a yard of snow right now. North Carolina might be a more pleasant target.

norsearayder 02-11-2010 12:24 PM

dont come to maine its only about 30 outside and the water is hard along the edges and the ice breakers are working ,trying to keep things open...in one word ...freezing

AlanBrown 02-11-2010 12:38 PM

My advice, leave your boat in Abaco, fly to Maine, then come back when time and weather permit. I would suggest June or July would be the best times to make the trip. The weather can still be boisterous in May.

If you decide to leave the boat in Abaco, you have 3 choices:

1. Leave your boat at TC Marina, and pay $600+ a month. By the way, this a great spot to leave your boat because of its sheltered location.

2. Rent a mooring, either in Hopetown or Man-O-Way Cay (this is where I keep my Hunter 30). Cost about $200/month. Both are sheltered spots. If TC Marina has added some decent moorings in their turning basin since I was last there, this would also be a good spot to consider.

3. If you want dry storage, try Abaco Yacht Services on Green Turtle Cay, Lighthouse Marina in Hopetown, or Marsh Harbour Marina. Cost should be in the $300/month range.

Another tip, if you decide to leave your boat, don't purchase your airline ticket until you know where you'll be storing your boat. TC and GTC visitors generally use TC Airport, while all other folks go through Marsh Harbor. It's a $70 cab ride between Marsh Harbour and Treasure Cay.

Drop me a PM if I can be of any furthur assistance. Good luck with the new job!

Tempest 02-11-2010 12:48 PM

It seems to me that it all hinges on your future employer's needs.

What was the reaction when you said early to mid -May. To me, that's not ASAP...but was it ok for them?

IF so, you probably have enough time to work your way up.

Even if you left by april 1st...that gives you a month and a half...
How long did it take you to get there..??

I'm guessing that your biggest challenge will be catching the right window to get across to florida...

The alternative is to get home and start working...and find a captain and crew to get the boat home.....or some of the other options above.

tommays 02-11-2010 12:55 PM

Well

April tends to SUCK in the Long Island NY area in terms of its really windy with a good chance of snow early or a lot of rain

You have to get a lucky streak for it to be above 50 deg to even work on the boat till late in the month

BrickPearson26 02-11-2010 06:34 PM

Storing the boat temporarily and picking it up in a couple months is not really an option. Seeing how I will just be starting this new job, it is going to be tough to get a 2 week vacation that soon after starting.
I view my options as either getting north a soon as i can, or selling the boat someplace further south. I would prefer not to sell the boat, for it is probably worth more to me than I can get for it money-wise, especially given the current used sailboat market.
But, I do realize that if they need me there sooner, I will be forced to sell the boat to get there in time. Is anybody in the market for a cruising-ready Pearson 30?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012