Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010

PPPPPP42 is on a distinguished road
Question Mississippi river and sailboats?

Tried searching but the results were all over the place.

What experiences have people had sailing a boat on any part of the Mississippi river? I'm actually located on the St. croix river which seperates MN and WI and it dumps into the Mississippi. Used to go on the St. Croix alot in a '23 foot cruiser I had and sometimes a bit into the M. river (dodged a few barge groups) but I can't help but wonder if its even possible to easily navigate a sailboat on any of the rivers up here? Experiences farther south or on other rivers would also be useful to hear about. I wonder how easily a boat sails upriver too. I would be looking at a boat with a swing keel or if it were fixed a short shoal keel like on an oday 22 i was just looking at so depth really isnt a issue and know better than to play in the spring floods and other basic river issues.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 02-18-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2010

OpIvy is on a distinguished road
I sailed on the Illinois River when I lived in Central Illinois. Very limited depth and really was stuck with daysailing. Depends on the area that you are located but I would guess this is pretty standard for midwest sailing. I was lucky in that there was regular sailboat races and fleets in Illinois. Draft is about 3 ft maximum which will really limit your boat choices. I would recommend on seeing if there are any scheduled races and stick with what ever class of boat being raced. This should help protect re-sale value and get you out on the water.

If you have an interest in getting more experience, I would recommend getting certified and renting a bareboat. Just a thought.
But it`s time I`ll take before I begin
Three sheets to the wind, Three sheets to the wind
Old 02-18-2010

guyfromiowa is on a distinguished road
Lake Pepin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My fave marina on Lake Pepin

Hansen's Harbor, harbor, marina, lake city, minnesota,dock space,boat storage, boat rentals, marine diesel service parts, towing

Guy
Old 02-18-2010

PPPPPP42 is on a distinguished road
I had forgotten about Pepin, bout an hour south by car and so out of my normal aquatic stomping grounds due to the piles of locks and dams here. Not outside of a day trip with a trailer though. Dunno about the Mississippi in its entirety up here but its fairly deep most places that I know of. The St. croix is extremely deep for a river. I'd only want a shallower keel to get in close to shore for the night or for beaches.

I wonder if a larger boat with a decent motor rather than a tiny outboard wouldnt be more prudent as I see long motor commutes in my future thanks to river traffic and currents. At least the wind on the St. Croix is notorious for blowing up the river valley from the south during the summer, really helps upstream passages, sometimes a little too much with the waves in the long valley. Plus there is ample room to tack without obstructing traffic or getting into oncoming boats.

The local yuppies do their regatta thing and play ring around the rosie in Lake St. Croix just south of the I-94 bridge but it seems to be a random mishmash of boats going in circles. I do see a few brands more common than others here though.

In all honesty I'm looking for more of a cheap basic weekender than a sailboat for racing but I've done the motor thing and was never in a hurry to get anywhere so why not sail.
Old 02-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The Mississippi is a lousy river for sailing IMHO. The current is pretty strong, there's way too much traffic on it...etc..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-19-2010

tomwatt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
The Mississippi is a lousy river for sailing IMHO. The current is pretty strong, there's way too much traffic on it...etc..
Though I haven't cruised/sailed it, I would second that.
The volume of water moving is enormous, ergo strong current... and if you read Mark Twain, it's famous for treacherous eddys, whirlpools, and shifting sandbars. Even though we live in a modern age, the river won't be tamed. I have sat on the levy and watched whole tree trunks sail by.
Old 10-17-2010

riversailor1 is on a distinguished road
Try sailing out of Fort Madison, Iowa.
Old 10-17-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I've never seen the Mississipi (my loss I know) but I did read Jonathan Raban's "Old Glory" which tells the tale of his journey from way up in the headwaters down to the delta in an aluminium runabout.

Not that I had contemplated the thought but it sure as hell knocked any idea of doing such a trip by sailing boat right out my head.

Jonathan Raban

Worth a read btw....as is almost anything by Raban. Well I think so anyway...

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-19-2010

chopsy is on a distinguished road
I had a friend who sailed his Com-Pac 23 from Atchison, Kansas to Biloxi. His comments agree with the others that a strong current is the worst part. He was not able to do any sailing until he reached the Gulf. It was all motoring. (a new 15hp Nissan outboard and a few oil changes along the way) The traffic on the VHF from the river boats was all about "The little tiny sailboat" going down the river. He never had any close calls with them and they seemed to respect giving him room as anybody else. I don't think it was really that fun, more of a challenge to do it than anything else.
Old 10-20-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I have sailed just above the Alton Locks above St. Louis a number of times. You just have to leave the boat at the dock at times after rains, and spring floods. When you can sail you spend all day going north, and in minutes you're back at the dock.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!