Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2010

CrazyLeaf is on a distinguished road
Jacksonville Florida Sailing

I have a question on sailing around the Jacksonville Florida area (50mi N/S of the area) and the St Johns River. Due to job reasons this will be my cruising ground for the next couple years.

I found a possible boat to purchase, but it has a 5' 10" draft. Is that too deep for this area? I do know some spots on the intercoastal could be problematic during low tide. What about the St Johns river?

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2010

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
There is lots of sailing to be found on the St John's. It is pretty wide open just past the city and down to Green Cove Springs (about 30NM's if my memory is correct) but you have to deal with currents.
Imagine 2 Frolic can add a lot to this discussion as he is currently docked in Green Cove.
Very limited or no sailing available on the ICW between Mayport and St Augustine.
The Mayport Inlet is easily navigated but marias and dockage are very limited in and around the inlet.
St Augustime inlet is a bit more of a challange but lots of services in that area.
Other with more experience can add to this and will correct me if I am wrong.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 02-25-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
It's rare to be able to get in much sailing without a lot of tacking, and gybing. mThe largest sailing area is just north & south of I295 aka the Buchman Bridge.

I have gone in, and out of the river at least a dozen times to get to & from the Bahamas. Once I had the pleasure of sailing from the ocean to my slip. Now that was a fun sail. The bad thing is the wind usually follows the river. I am telling you it could be a WHOLE lot worse.

The great news if you are going to be in Floriduh. The area is the safest when taking hurricanes into consideration. Also I see a lot of activity on the water. Looks like club racing, and get togethers.........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-25-2010

Thanks for the info, I will be right at the Buckman bridge area. I'm trying to get a slip at Jullington Creek. I may have to be down at Green Cove until they have room though.

But my main question was around the 5' 10" draft of the sail boat. Will that be an issue in the area? I've been told this would be too limiting in the area, but I was also told this by non-sailors.

Thanks...
Old 02-25-2010

Sorry about that. I just opened the chartbook to refresh my memory. You can get pretty close to the shoreline all over the place. There are a couple of shoals, but these are only a couple, and well marked. I think you'll be just fine, besides with a little bit of heeling, or rail down you are going to decrease your draft. .......i2f

Old 02-25-2010
Seinor Member

capn_dave is on a distinguished road
Well If you have 2" draft

Have no problem like Imagine, LOL besides he has 2 hulls and is 30 FEET WIDE. That boat of his don't turn to good.

Now If you would have 4.5 foot draft you would be allot better off. I would keep away form the shore areas in the St. Johns. There are pilings that have rotted off at the water line all over the place. The bottom is mostly soft mud so grounding is not much of a problem. Just watch out across the river from Green Cove Springs Marina, there is a 2 ft hump made out of old concrete from the navy days. I can't tell you the number of people I have rescued from there. It's marked on the charts, but you will usually find it the hard way.

Julington Creek is a pretty protected spot. Watch out after you get out of the cove and into the river. Raggedy Point really catches the high winds. It's a long fetch.

You really have to stay in the channel on the ICW. even then you will surly run aground due to shoaling

The Rudder Club is located on the north side of the Buckman Bridge on the west bank. They have a good race Schedule. Along with the Mug Race, billed as the worlds longest river race.
Need more info just ask away
Old 02-25-2010
paj637

paj637 is on a distinguished road
Don't overlook the Fernandina Beach/St Marys Inlet area. Great sailiing offshore of Cumberland Island, FB, and Amelia Island.
Old 02-26-2010

Hey capn dave,

Was that a compliment, or are you picking on me?. ........i2f

Old 02-26-2010

JagsBch is on a distinguished road
6' draft? Bad idea for Julington creek area. I dragged bottom quiet a few times with a 5 foot draft even got stuck once and had to wait for the tide to come in with even less draft than that on my Tartan. I love sailing that area.
Old 02-26-2010

Thanks, that was the information I was looking for.

If Jullington creek ends up being a bit too shallow, I'll end up keeping the boat at Green Cove. I'd like to have it at Jullington, since I would only be about 5 min away.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.