Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2010
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle30 View Post
What are your thoughts on harnesses on kids? Last year the then 1 year old HATED his SOLAS PFd. We were adamant and forced him to keep it on. I have been reading here and am considering a harness and safety netting this year.
Lifeline netting is WONDERFUL in my opinion. Such an added safety when the kids are walking around on deck, even when docked. I also like it for various other reasons, keeps the sail on the foredeck better when raising and lowering (no roller furling on my boat at the moment) Helps keep jackets and other things from flying overboard if the wind catches them, etc.

We have kid harnesses, but have not used them a whole lot. The kids really do not like them. If the wind is up, we require them to use them, but they usually opt to stay below instead. We have been very lucky in the PDF department, both kids do not mind them at all and will often wear them hiking around or even to the store in town. Sometimes I can not get them to take them off! Odd. Not sure how that happened.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2010
Aura Columbia 30

Boondoggle30 is on a distinguished road
More good reading Thanks.

Bl - exactly what we are thinking. Strip contents down so we actually know where the heck everything is and put it where WE want it rather than previous owners.
The confidence issue is definately part of it. Yes people don't relax if they keep wondering if I'm going to sink us! Unfortunately only timefixes that.

Tjk1 - yes I think next to a good hot meal, the end of a long day must be on a comfortable matress. I have considered foam rolls to bulk up the existing padding but when not in use they take up too mch space. Will have to look at more options.

We definately need to refine our storage and organization. Priorities... And no excessve toilet paper! It tough to reorg though when you have nothing to compare to - thus this thread.

Thanks again for all the great info. Keep it coming!
Old 02-26-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
We are a family of five on a 31 footer (plus a dog now). So I know about the tight space issues.

Two of the biggest comfort improvements we made to our boat were:

1) Custom fitted cockpit cushions. We'd had some off-the shelf foam pads, but they always slid around. Custom fitted cushions made the cockpit much more inviting and comfortable for lounging/napping.

2) Cabin heat. Completely changes the mood in the early and late seasons.

Some things that came with the boat which I wouldn't be without were the dodger, bimini, and integral awning. Combined with the cockpit cushions, it's like having another "room."

Also, we use a lot of camping gear for it's compact, space saving attributes. As a camper, you know all about that stuff, though. But individual headlamps are great as night/reading lights. Buy a set to leave aboard and hang over the bunks. The kind that have the optional red light or filter are handy for preserving night vision.

Another important one is a good set of binoculars, along with a good birdbook. Lots of fun to be had with those...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 02-26-2010
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle30 View Post
More good reading Thanks.
I have considered foam rolls to bulk up the existing padding but when not in use they take up too mch space. Will have to look at more options.
Memory foam mattress toppers work wonders for not too much cost. We got one cheap at Walmart and cut it to size. In hind sight I should have went for a slightly higher quality one, but this one has been good. Just be sure it will be big enough for the v-birth. We cut it in two sections, one for each side which made better use of the square size. We leave this on all the time as it is not excessively thick.

I have seen blogs of people who take a real mattress and cut it up, rewiring the springs and such. Looks like a great thing to do and the best option if you have the time, money, and vertical space above the bunks, none of which I have had yet. I might consider it in the future as we are looking at a long trip, but the vertical space might not allow for it. The memory foam has done wonders so far.
Old 02-27-2010

tomwatt is on a distinguished road
Therma-Rest inflatable mattress pads. Not only do they blow up to form a wonderful comfort layer, they can be deflated and rolled tightly to create a fairly small cube. There are opportunities for "factory seconds" to save $$ and also some off-brand versions, so it's not necessary that these be a huge expense.
Old 02-27-2010

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderGuy View Post
Memory foam mattress toppers work wonders............ The memory foam has done wonders so far.
I agree with you. Some of the best money we ever spent on the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

Old 03-01-2010

damies is on a distinguished road
ventilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Pocket warmers, beanies, a cabin heater, thick socks and beanies are good things to have. Even in summer.

Another thing that makes a boat comfortable is a cozy cabin. Dedicate some places to storage and the rest of the boat becomes much more comfortable.
Well you must live somewhere much colder than I... I don't even consider wearing a beanie in winter.

Along that train of thought though, if you live in a warmer climate, good ventilation is important so the cabin is bearable. Don't rely just on hatches for ventilation, cause when you get a squall come over is when you need the ventilation most and is also when you'll want the hatch closed to stay dry. I used these Nylon Dorade Vent, and already had one of these Solar Exhaust Vent - White. I removed these Mushroom Vent which I found provided no ventilation at all.

Hope that helpful.

Dave.

Dave.

1972 Piver Trimaran 7.60m moored near Victoria Point QLD Australia.

My Daughter (Above) Described the bosuns chair as a big swing and said it was fun
Old 03-01-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Our thoughts;
safe, fast yacht
cruiser mentality
flat non-rolling anchorages
oversized anchor and chain
memory foam mattress top
insect screens
dry boat
engine (& outboard) that starts first time, every time
genset for watermaker, washing machine, battery charger etc etc
small bean bags for cockpit
never ending supply of fresh water
good ventilation. homemade windscoops
pet onboard
HF to gas bag with friends wherever
big fridge
cleanskin wine/beer / duty free liquor
double brie cheese
lots of chocolate
sweets / deserts etc
big inflateable dinghy
enough unearned income to pay the bills without you being aware they were due
ability and confidence to fix engine/sails/rig/ most medical/ carpentry
waterproof camera
ability to catch dinner
enough Ah to watch enough DVD's when you are stuck at an anchorage
wife/partner to share it all ( should have been higher on the list - I know - goes with Good Cook!)

etc etc

Last edited by St Anna; 03-01-2010 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Now looks like a mastercard add!
Old 03-01-2010

damies is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Our thoughts;
insect screens
I agree 100% on this one, I put fly screen in the vents I mentioned before.

Quote:
dry boat
cleanskin wine/beer / duty free liquor
Doesn't one cancel out the other?

Quote:
double brie cheese
All yours.... cheese doesn't like me.

Quote:
good ventilation. homemade windscoops
Have you got pictures of those windscoops? How well do they work with heavy rain?

Dave.

Dave.

1972 Piver Trimaran 7.60m moored near Victoria Point QLD Australia.

My Daughter (Above) Described the bosuns chair as a big swing and said it was fun
Old 03-01-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by damies View Post
Have you got pictures of those windscoops? How well do they work with heavy rain?

Dave.
Hi Dave
In heavy rain, I put up a small polytarp over the hatch. Usually get enough wind through.

I keep 3 diff size polytarps.

The windscoop was patterned of an old purchased one which had died. It depends on the size of the hatch as well.

For light winds a box kite shape works well. Ours look like a spinaker.