SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   BBQ implements - or - How I tested stainless steel at the hardware store (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/62417-bbq-implements-how-i-tested-stainless-steel-hardware-store.html)

Bene505 02-28-2010 01:05 PM

BBQ implements - or - How I tested stainless steel at the hardware store

How many times have you bought something made of stainless steel, only to find it completely rusted after a short time?

As mentioned by Dog and others, good stainless steel is non magnetic. So when I found myself at the hardware store with my magnet in hand, I just HAD to go down the bar-b-que aisle and do some testing.

(I was there to buy some stainless steel bolts, and found nearly all the stainless bolts, nuts, washers, etc. etc. etc. at Ace hardware to be good, with the exception of some of the cotter pins. It was as if they got a refill of some inferior cotter pins. I plan to mention this to them next time I'm there.)

Here is a video showing my in-the-field testing of bar-b-que implements.

Click here for video (12.5 Megabytes)

I'm sure there must be good places to get non-magnetic stainless steel bar-b-que implements. The hardware store is not the place to go. Again, Ace had good stainless in nearly all their bolts, nuts, etc.

Regards,
Brad

Cruisingdad 03-01-2010 10:23 AM

Can I make this a sticky!?????

God job Brad!

Brian

sailingdog 03-01-2010 11:59 AM

LOL... How did the store staff respond to you??? BTW, you should try that in Williams Sonoma. :D

AE28 03-01-2010 12:17 PM

MOST good stainless steel is non-magnetic.
Good quality stainless steel cutting blades are sometimes magnetic.
All non-magnetic stainless steel is not necessarily good.
Paul

sailingdog 03-01-2010 12:54 PM

Actually, all of the better austenitic grades of stainless steel are non-magnetic... and austenitic grades of stainless steel are better than martenistic for marine use.

There is bad stainless steel that is non-magnetic, but it is certainly not very common. A magnet remains the easiest, fastest and cheapest way to tell the better grades from the lesser ones as a general rule.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AE28 (Post 575470)
MOST good stainless steel is non-magnetic.
Good quality stainless steel cutting blades are sometimes magnetic.
All non-magnetic stainless steel is not necessarily good.
Paul

Bene505 03-01-2010 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruisingdad (Post 575433)
Can I make this a sticky!?????

God job Brad!

Brian

Brian,

I thought this subject would be near and dear to your heart.

Get a magnet and test your BBQ implements amd share the results please. We could all learn from the master.

Regards,
Brad