Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010

WWTVCasting is on a distinguished road
TV Series Seeks Liveaboard Families

Production company developing a new documentary TV series about liveaboards. We're seeking a dynamic family with big personalities living and loving their unconventional home.

The series will focus on what it means for a family to live, work, and play as full-time liveaboards and how they deal with everything from dinner to keeping themselves afloat.

If you or someone you know is interested, email our casting producer: jason.watt@liontv.us

Tell us a little about yourselves and where possible include some photos of yourselves and your home.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-01-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
"Jon and Kate Plus Catalina 38" ?
Old 03-01-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Whoever you decide to feature, you should consider using dylanwinter as a production consultant. He knows sailboats and he knows video. You need one single person who knows both, not two different people that know one of each.

Check him out here:

Four Days of Real Winter Sailing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-01-2010

midnightsailor is on a distinguished road
Good luck, anybody I know who lives aboard, selected that lifestyle just to get away from that kind of thing. I would be surprised if anyone who chooses that lifestyle would want to be involved in a snoopy T.V. production with all the prying cameras and googleing eyes, just to entertain someone who's life is so bland that they need to resort to watching instead of doing. Just MHO..Rick

John, good suggestion using Dylan Winter..excellent cameraman who knows boats a nd sailing, but I wonder if that kind of the would even interest him..

Last edited by midnightsailor; 03-01-2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: previouspost
Old 03-01-2010

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Can't help but notice that it is always families wanted. Clearly a small minority of those who liveaboard but I guess a large percentage of the book and TV buying dreamers. I guess it also saves time determining who plays what role.

Of course I know a few families sailing but it would take some production work to create the controversy needed to sell. Very level headed group.

I would suggest hiring people to do this…..oh wait that is what is being tried….I mean hire individual people and then put them together for the show.
Have them be the family needed, then after the show is released, expose them as fakes and frauds. Well timed it could drive ratings through the roof and since you controlled all parts of the show it should be well worth watching.

Do some actual sailing and I might be interested in watching it when it comes out on Blue-ray.
Have faith that the oceans are going to rise and flood the world, that plague and pestilence brought on by Climate Change is going to punish us for not believing. Please do as they say it is our only hope. :P
Old 03-01-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
I agree with Rick. I live aboard too!

Here is a clue for the TV guys: Ice Blink.
Old 03-01-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Gee, we do that all summer, not far from NY too, with 4 kids ages 5 to 13, one with autism. And we could house a cameraperson in the crew quarters.

Problem is, that every minute of the summer is priceless. Not sure we'd want to take the time to deal with all the cameras and everything. And the secret spots we go to are special -- I'd share them on this forum without hesitation, but sharing them on prime time seems different somehow.

Each day is different and dynamic and serendipitous -- on the inside. For an external viewer, not sure how much a viewer could stand watching us 1) playing in/on/under the water, 2) playing/chatting on the beach, 3) reading, 4) deciding what to do for dinner, 5) choosing the venues for each part of the day, and 6) teaching the kids. And sailing, of course. What's missing is back stabbing, scheming and other things that seem to make ratings. Instead it's beach, bar-b-ques, bon fires, wine/beers with family and friends, sunsets, and simple fun. It's basically a moving, relaxed-but-careful party in a big playground. Like I said, it's summer.

Also, any livaboard is going to be smart enough to ask to see your previous work, to see if you are creating ratings or actually showing what life's like. Think of a scale between Ken Burns and Jerry Springer. You might want to post links to some of your previous work.

Good luck in your search. If it has some good sailing clips, I'm sure we'd all want to watch it.

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 03-02-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Hell, I'm too busy living, working, playing and trying to figure out what to cook for dinner............you'd just be in the way

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 03-02-2010

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Realize that the target market will likely not be the sailing community. It will be those who think that people who live on a boat are freaks; and this will re-enforce that. Ice Blink is the last place they are looking to go with this, that will not bring in ratings. If Ice Blink was a popular concept, it would have already had wider distribution. In the scale of Springer to Burns, likely much closer to Springer.

You want good wholesome entertainment?????? What's the matter with you? You some kind of pervert?
Old 03-02-2010

tomwatt is on a distinguished road
The first thing that jumps out at me about the request is a lack of knowledge... most - not all I know but most - liveaboard families aren't rolling around in extra space, so adding a camera crew to the mix is going to be difficult. And trying to trail alongside and film close in another boat when the liveaboards change tack will be an adventure.
And as others have said, folks that chose this lifestyle aren't likely to want to submit to the intrusion.