Things we learned about life aboard while traveling south on the ICW - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I just bought a bean bag for Melanie. You can stick it anywhere inside, and out. Cruising for one being new is a learning experience. You learn what does, and does not work for you. We all have different comfort levels, and wants, so for each of us it will be a wee bit different. BEST WISHES in the little sailor growung up to be great crew. You can't start them young enough, and you can't get any younger than that...........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I just bought a bean bag for Melanie. You can stick it anywhere inside, and out.

What a cool idea, Im getting one for the kids
Old 03-03-2010

Soontobecruiser is on a distinguished road
Here are a couple of pictures that show the 1 comfortable seat we now have on the boat. The cushions are 2" thick foam, the chair is the Go Anywhere seat and I really believe the curved cushion behind the chair significantly helps. This set up allows you to kick your feet up on the bench and be fairly comfortable.

This is my first time posting pictures so I hope this works.

Old 03-03-2010

Let me try this again...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-03-2010

OK now that I got the pictures figured out below are a couple of pics of the cabinets that we put in on the port and starboard side in the main cabin.

And a picture of Second Wind anchored at Key Largo.

Old 03-04-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I see you got it figured out! We use very similar seats too.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 03-04-2010

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
try not to get those folding seats wet...they are not stainless inside. will rust quickly
Old 03-04-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Great post! I'd second all your recommendations. Many are things we've got and appreciate (like a pair of 20-lb propane tanks), and others are things we plan to do before our next trip (like, you're right about an enclosure & davits). One thing I'd add: a folding stepstool or sturdy milk crate - to put on the dock to step up to your boat at high tide, or to put on your boat to step up to the dock at low tide, for many marinas that probably should have been built with floating docks, but weren't. Elizabeth City comes to mind, but what the heck, it was free!
Old 03-19-2012

Clarity2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Things we learned about life aboard while traveling south on the ICW

Wouldn't recommend being offshore in bad weather with a dinghy in davits.
Old 03-22-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Things we learned about life aboard while traveling south on the ICW

I know the OP is old, but I thought this may be of interest to everyone who has spent endless hours at the helm.

When I was a younger man I spent a huge amount of time at the helm of several fishing boats. Many were in the 18 to 25-foot range, all were fast, and nearly all were equipped with comfortable, stable, helm seats. Even when bouncing off waves, the helmsman usually had comfortable seating.

Most powerboats have helm-seats that are contour-fit with padded arm and back rests and thick foam cushions to sit upon. The best ones are not cheap, but once you've installed one and used it you would never go back to sitting on a conventional sailboat seat--there's a world of difference.

I purchased and installed the Cape Cod helm-seat from West Marine last spring. They had a special sale going at the time and I saved about $100 over the regular price.

The seat is high enough for me to see over the cabin top, it swivels easily to any angle, has positive locking, and every person that has used it while sailing with me said it makes a huge difference. In many instances I had a passenger take the wheel while I went below to make a sandwich and when I returned they often said "Relax and eat your sandwich, then make me one and mix up a Margaretta to go with it." After complying with their wishes, they continued to remain in the seat.

The only thing I may change would be the pedestal. The one that came with the seat leaves the post in place when the seat is removed. I will likely switch this to one where the post can be removed from the base, leaving just the base unit in place. Just makes it easier to get around when scrubbing down the cockpit.

You can find the full specifications at TODD Cushion at West Marine

Cheers,

Gary