Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2003

duke is on a distinguished road
ssb/pc to phone calls

Still trying to decide if I should buy a Iridium phone or to use SSB email direction?
My question is; Can I use a SSB to connect to internet(Laptop) and then make pc to Phone calls at a significant cost savings as I do at home on my laptop to phone calls? Has anyone tried this? at home I use iconnect service
Thanks
Duke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2003

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
ssb/pc to phone calls

Duke, even using the new Pactor III (broader freq span) capability, you won''t have nearly the speed when using a SSB this is needed to connect to the web like you do at home.

As for your other two choices - SSB with email capability vs. sat phone - they meet hugely different needs and probably should not even be clumped together by me in responding. SSB offers "connectivity" with the cruising community and brings real-time synoptic and f''cast weather info to your nav station, but you may not be looking for either of those. Satcoms are dumbed down, hugely reliable 24/7, expensive to operate (tho'' far less to buy than a SSB/TNC hook-up) and ''technology in isolation'', offering you landside connections but probably no meaningful way to talk with other sailors (all of whom will turn their units off unless making a call).

What are you planning to do with your boat that brings these questions to the surface?

Jack
Old 02-19-2003

duke is on a distinguished road
ssb/pc to phone calls

Hi Jack
thank you for the inoput.
I plan on sailing to the Philippines. I would like to update friends of my location during the voyage connecting to my website which has a link to Pangolin site. In the long run the benefits of a SSB will over come the initial cost I''m sure. Any more input from you would be greatly appreciated
regards
duke
Old 02-19-2003

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
ssb/pc to phone calls

Duke, a friend of ours is currently departing Balboa, Panama for the So Pac and is posting his position occasionally (for the same reason; interested friends...) but he has no onboard email capability. I''m not sure if there''s a Net he uses for this purpose but I could send you that info if you''re interested. OTOH if you plan on adding a TNC ''modem'' to the SSB installation, then you can do this using Airmail on your laptop.

There''s a lot to say on the subject of selecting, installing and using a SSB aboard a boat and, along with the fact a BB isn''t the right place to dig into it, I''m surely not a real expert - just a satisfied customer for the last 12 years and two boats. One source you might start with is the readily available, cheap ''Installing a SSB on a Boat'' pub (title may vary just a bit) offered at www.ssca.org in their ''Store'' site - just go to Publications and you''ll see it right away. It''s basic but deals with all the important issues and recognizes boats come in many shapes, materials and with varying rigs - all of which play a role in a SSB install.

Since it appears you''ll be new to SSB use, another suggestion is to plug into your local ham club. Even if you don''t end up taking the tests, you''ll rub shoulders with guys who understand (or in some cases, ''think'' they understand...) a lot about installing SSBs in planes, RVs, boats, etc. as well as homes. They can be a real help to someone low on the learning curve and, as I think you''ll universally find, hams are usually very much into paying it forward and public service.

Let me know if I can help any more.

Jack
jack_patricia@yahoo.com