Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2010

gene80 is on a distinguished road
Recurring Costs. What am I missing?

The day of our sabbatical approaches and I continue to edit and reconcile our budget models. I've read through threads on this site along with others and would like your opinions.

38 ft - Catalina
Cruising in the Bahamas

Which estimates are logical, which are too high, are there any recurring costs that I'm missing all together?

Monthly:
Insurance - $200
Gas - $25
Water - $50
Slip Fees - $120
Food - $200
Eating Out - $300
Land Transportation, Custom,Park Fees - $100
Entertainment/(Tank Fills) - $100
Cell - $50
Maintenance - ?

How far off am I?

Last edited by gene80; 03-13-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I would stock up on extras like alternator, belts, oils, anti freeze, fiters, even extr injectors might not be a bad idea, all the little goodies that could give up the ghost and be a pita to get while crusing, even extra pumps ( ie freshwater,bilge etc,etc)

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 03-13-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
I think your fuel cost is low, that is only 6-8 gallons monthly...

Also slippage, per night if you are cruising is at least $1.40/ft per night plus extra for internet, pumpout etc..

FOod and eating out....pretty low, unless you split meals and do a lot of your own...even then, supplies are very high in the islands
Old 03-13-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
well

I am not sure that budget would work even on the US east coast unless you were anchored out free full time ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene80 View Post
The day of our sabbatical approaches and I continue to edit and reconcile our budget models. I've read through threads on this site along with others and would like your opinions.

38 ft - Catalina
Cruising in the Bahamas

Which estimates are logical, which are too high, are there any recurring costs that I'm missing all together?

Monthly:
Insurance - $200
The insurance sounds pretty low too. CD's boat is a 40' boat and his insurance is $4500 or so... your budget is for only $2400.
Quote:
Gas - $25
Really too low, unless you can manage to sail everywhere and not your dinghy's outboard much
Quote:
Water - $50
A bit low unless you've got a watermaker IMHO. Many islands only have RO water and you have to pay for it.
Quote:
Slip Fees - $120
This sounds low, unless you are anchoring out almost every day. If you used a slip and had to pay $1.50 a foot, you're looking at $114 for just two nights. There are also often dinghy dock fees, so even if you're anchored out, you might be paying something each night.

Quote:
Food - $200
Most of the food in the islands, other than what they can catch or raise locally, has to be imported. This makes the food far more expensive than you'd see in the US, where transportation costs are much lower. I seriously doubt that you could survive on this budget.
Quote:
Eating Out - $300
While you can eat reasonably inexpensive if you stick to the restaurants that the locals use, drinks will add up fast.
Quote:
Land Transportation, Custom,Park Fees - $100
Customs fees can be higher than that... so it depends on how often you change ports and/or countries.
Quote:
Entertainment/(Tank Fills) - $100
Why do you combine these two? Also, entertainment can be very expensive.
Quote:
Cell - $50
Depends on the service. $50 is normal for the states, but in most of the islands, you'll be using a pre-paid card and the minutes are far more expensive, especially if you're calling internationally.
Quote:
Maintenance - ?
I'd highly recommend putting aside a slush fund for major repairs that can crop up. The larger the boat, the more complex the systems, the more expensive the maintenance costs will generally be.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-13-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-13-2010

gene80 is on a distinguished road
Alright, let's go at this again with feedback incorporated.

Monthly:
Insurance - $350
Gas - $125
Water - $75
Slip Fees - $160
- 3 nights/month
Mooring Fees - $150
- 10 nights @ $15/night
Food - $300
Eating Out - $500
Land Transportation, Custom/Park Fees - $200
Entertainment - $100
Tank Fills/Bait - $25
Cell - $75
Maintenance - ~$200

That puts 6/months cruising @ around $13k.

How much do you end up spending on communication? Phone, Internet, etc...
Old 03-13-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
If you haven't lived on the boat before I would suggest adding a "refit" cost of at least hundreds of $us a month for materials, tools, and services to make changes to the boat while you are living on it. There's no such thing as getting on the boat and living on it and not wanting to make somewhat expensive changes in the first few months. Even little stuff like adding a hook to hang something, grease to make a hinge stop squeaking, rubber bumper to make a door stop banging, etc, it all adds up. Add bits of wire, connectors, etc, and it adds up faster. Start adding radios, instruments, major cosmetic changes, etc, and it is a whole new game.

Please support my
Old 03-13-2010

tager is on a distinguished road
Stuff the insurance, don't eat, don't call, don't motor, drink saltwater and do not maintain your boat.

There you go. You can cruise indefinitely now.
Old 03-13-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Insurance - wow, is it really that expensive? Is that a newer-boat thing, an east coast thing, or a Bahamas thing, or what? My boat is 70% the length of CD's and I pay less than a tenth part of that.
Old 03-13-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Hopefully you have a water maker. If not, figure you'll be paying $.50/Gal for water in any of the out-islands.

Unless you don't drink, or are bringing a huge amount of beer/wine, figure a couple of bucks a pop for a bottle of beer. Food is cheap so long as you "go native" and/or can catch a lot of you dinner. Fresh veggies are an expensie novelty!

Good luck. No one has ever starved or spent too much time on the wagon in the islands. Just have a vew bucks in reserve!!

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."