Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010
Make it Happen

pwillems is on a distinguished road
Who is truly hoping to do this indefinitely?

I just finished reading Anne Vanderhoof's "An Embarassment of Mangoes". Her and her husband set out from Toronto and cruised to Trinidad and back for a couple years. The last section of the book was all about coming home and getting back into their old life. The tone of the last chapter was almost like a bit of a sad ending with her describing how the busy city life seems like everyone there is really missing the point.

This made me wonder, my goal will be to set out one day (15 yrs away at least ), but at this point, I think I will be doing it with the intention of finishing off my life that way. This is not an issue for me as I grew up living a fairly nomadic life. My family was very close, but at heart only. My parents taught my sister and I to live our lives and not miss out on our dreams due to not being close by.

How many people considering this life actually do it with the intention of truly sailing indefinitely?

Last edited by pwillems; 03-15-2010 at 03:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2010

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I decided that in order to pursue cruising indefinately I needed to balance it with shorebound life. I have met several sailors (both individual and couples) who have been cruising so long that they've really lost contact with what I'll call 'mainstream' society that their chances of successfully re-integrating are almost nil. In order to avoid that situation and not lose the few social skills I've got left, I decided to spend 4-6 months out of the year on land and working. Fortunately this blends in well with the type of work I do and I feel that I get the best of both worlds, both ashore and afloat.
So for me the cruising time is indefinate but interspersed with times in the real world. Alternating between the two lifestyles also makes the advantages and disadvantages of each seem more pronounced and thus much more flavorful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-15-2010

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
Zanshin is probably right.but difficult to get back in mainstream.Or possibly mainstream just s***S.MARC
Old 03-15-2010
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Though I'm currently working to rebuild the cruising kitty, once out again, I intend to keep cruising until physically unable.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 03-15-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Pwillems, your question is at the root of many of the debates that we have here on the forums, though it rarely comes up for discussion directly. It'll be interesting to see what people write.

Please support my
Old 03-15-2010

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
we are like John, intend to be liveaboard cruisers, until we can't then buy a trawler and live at the marina...

I see no need to move back shoreside...maybe visit kids, or do some sightseeing.
Old 03-15-2010

marianclaire is on a distinguished road
I am torn on this question. I spend 4 to 6 months a year on a long cruise and the rest of the year on land with a lot of short 3 to 7 day trips to/on the boat. Problem is I have a deep connection with the area here in NE TN/NW NC. “Cruisers bliss” is real and I often think of how simple life is when I am out there. It is not all sunny days and cocktails but it is simpler IMHO. So to answer the question: No I do not plan to cruise full time. But check back in a few years. Dan S/V Marian Claire
Old 03-15-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
One thing that often gets overlooked...your body. Physically, most cruisers will reach a point in time where doctors visits, medical procedures, proximity to home care, or even just mental faculties will make it impossible to cruise. Not to mention the physical rigors of sailing. Heck, even short term cruising may become impossible without electric winches and other expensive, failure prone mechanics.

Fact is, most cruisers do the lifestyle for only a few years and then eventually reintegrate back into life/reality.
Old 03-15-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Well, financially, we're set up so we can keep going forever. Neither of us has close family (parents deceased, no kids), and "home" has been wherever Uncle Sam tells us it is for so long that we have no ties to a particular place. That said, we've also found that after exploring for a while we like to come back and "rest" at a location, tie up in a marina and have a car again, not need a map all the time, and appreciate towns for something other than groceries and laundromats. You can probably count us in the group who has/will travel for a few months, then settle for a while, then go again. One thing, though, we have no plans to move ashore. We'll go from a sailboat to a trawler in a marina as we age, maybe an RV, but no house!
Old 03-15-2010

damies is on a distinguished road
My long term plan is to do this indefinitely, but I need 2 things to make that a reality:
Plan Part 1) An income stream that will allow it to be possible (allowing for food, expenses and regular airfares home for my wife)

Plan Part 2) A bigger boat that is more comfortable for living aboard, about or a little after part 1 is in place.

I'm years away from part 1, will update when (if) I get there. It's not likely to happen while the kids are at home (the youngest is 8 now) so I have a few years to make the plan happen.

Dave.

Dave.

1972 Piver Trimaran 7.60m moored near Victoria Point QLD Australia.

My Daughter (Above) Described the bosuns chair as a big swing and said it was fun

Last edited by damies; 03-15-2010 at 09:35 AM.