Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Simpson Bay Lagoon Dutch v French side costs

I was trying to find these a couple of months ago.
Just been there during the Heineken regatta and it is $70 for the first week and $40 a week after that on the Dutch side.

There is a $7 fee for clearing in and out on the French side and that is IT! Stay as long as your visa allows. Some that I know have been there for several years!

The French are charging for Marigot Bay however but locals say it is not legal and you can refuse to pay.

On a faster and more expensive note saw the only megayacht I lust after.

Picasa Web Albums - John

Hanuman beating up the East coast of St Martin

NB Pic upload failed again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2010

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
...The French are charging for Marigot Bay however but locals say it is not legal and you can refuse to pay...
I've stayed in Marigot a couple of times, and refusing to pay is not an option, since the same authority that collects mooring fees issues you your clearance documents.
On a side note, the French entrance channel is narrow and shallow. I won't even dream of trying to enter on the French side with my draft, and friends with 6"6' draft made it through earlier this year, but grounded in silt a couple of times while in the channel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
We draw near 6 with the board up and never saw less than 11 feet going in or out of the bridge on the French side and to and from the Capitanerie or the bouyed channels in the lagoon. Yes there are some shallow spots around off route and out of the channel but that is true on the Dutch side as well. Eyeball navigation found us anchor spots in the shallower areas without too much difficulty.

The comments re refusing to pay the Marigot Bay anchor charge came were from long term local cruisers / Simpson bay regulars who explained that under French Law the local authorities can not impose such a charge. If you refuse to pay they say the guy in the Capitanerie just shrugs. They thmselves do not pay and still get to clear in and out. I understand this may all change if the French side changes its political status in relation to France and becomes more of an independent state.

The Capitanerie just house the computers for the clearing in/out process. They are not Customs or immigration officers. I think an officer is there from time to time but the Marina staff stamp and sign the form for you.

One other charge of note is while on the Dutch side be sure to have a torch, whistle and at least ONE lifejacket in your dinghy at all times but esp. at night. If stopped by the coastguard you will be fined if they are not present and demonstrated. They were stopping dinks without lights during the Heineken.

Last edited by TQA; 03-18-2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Bad spelling I wash a enginur
Old 03-18-2010

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
Marigot bay is not the only option for clearing in and out. We did it in Port Lonvilliers (Anse Marcel) if I remember correctly and had no problems with any mooring fees. No-one came to collect any money when we were in Marigot bay. We only stayed 2 days total, so we cleared in and out in one go. I think this is true for most French islands. This year we cleared in and out in one form on Guadeloupe. And we did it in Internet cafe. They have a web application to do it and we just needed to print out filled form, sign it and fax it to authorities. We were told it is OK to only have one form (in and out on one single paper) as long you specify your departure date and next port of call. Worked last year in St. Martin and this year in Guadeloupe.

Edit: Oh, TQA: do you have better picture of your boat somewhere - specially dodger/bimini part. I might want to steal some ideas from your design.

Beneteau Oceanis 473

finished cruising after two years.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.