Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2010

IntrepidManiac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Where will you be cruising and will you be staying for long periods in a marina or moving on from anchorage to anchorage.
My end, long term goal (the dream) is to circumnavigate and see the world. That will probably involve long stays at certain places while I work and save money for more cruising. I want to live life as stripped down and simply as I possibly can.

In the short term I hope to be sailing off the coast of NC, probably up and down the ICW, but hopefully some passages down to Florida, the Bahamas, and maybe Bermuda.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Like Smacky, we started with a 27-footer that was sailable but needed work when we got her. We made every mistake in the book, and then wrote some new chapters. For what you're planning; buy the boat. 27 is a neat size; big enough to have systems, but small enough that in a pinch you can muscle it about by hand. Find a good working marina (i.e., one that also provides marine services, not just a shiny resort-like place to visit). Leave work every Friday at 5:01 PM (in season) and drive directly to the boat. Sail, putter, chat with your neighbors, cook, sleep aboard, etc till Sunday evening. That's one way you can learn. Because: in North Carolina & the ICW, unless you're incredibly stupid or incredibly unlucky, mistakes may be inconvenient, embarassing, or expensive, but they're not likely to kill you. Join BoatUS and get a towing policy; continue to read, take classes, and soak up knowledge ... and have fun. It would be great to see the next generation get involved with this sport.
Old 04-05-2010

IntrepidManiac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
unless you're incredibly stupid or incredibly unlucky, mistakes may be inconvenient, embarassing, or expensive, but they're not likely to kill you.
Heh... I just have to let you know that my first charter in NC I had a keel unexpectedly fall off of a 24' C&C while I was in the middle of 30 foot water.... Fortunately we got the boat back the 2 mi to port before it sank (in the slip).

So I guess I may be incredibly unlucky, and I still want to keep sailing, so that may say something about my intelligence as well...